View Single Post
Old 15th May 2016, 8:53 pm   #17
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: JVC JA-S71 amplifier (1976)

The reputation of the 33/303 is somewhat larger than the reality. It was probably the first transistor amplifier which overcame thermal instability and reliability issues. Back in the day it was a very desirable amplifier indeed, but it pre-dates the fixing of a few problems created by peaks in music.

I did a serious revamp job on one a few years ago and tried it out into my big transmission line speakers and I found it generally disappointing compared to their usual driver, but then it's a substantially lower power unit and the coupling capacitors in the outputs create a roll off which can be detected with these speakers.

So I'm not surprised that one of the Japanese monster amplifiers from the period before they went mad on STK modules, comes out well in comparison. They were very good amplifiers and were designed after a few limitations had been recognised and overcome. I find it a bit amusing that they can be picked up for a better price than the Quads, but then hifi is all about brand worship anyway. I'm also somewhat amused by the Japanese liking for sticking the heatsinks on the inside of the cabinets.

David