View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:08 pm   #3
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Akai 4000DS Mk2 (II) UK Only Version Info Please

Hi Dave,

For info, besides this machine having external indications that it's a UK version the internal chassis is stamped & labelled "UK" in bright orange print.

Being it would be my Nephew's first ever tape recorder, I thought it would be nice & safer if he had the full instructions about it's operation.

Bearing in mind even I forgot about the motor not switching on with the UK version until the Shut-Off lever was under tension, as I hadn't used it for some time and it took me about half an hour to remember. LOL.

It can be rewired but it would require some circuit modifications as, looking at the circuit diagram - to meet the BSI regulations at the time, the motor circuit will require additional components.

Moreover, I'd prefer it to remain as original for collectable value & my Nephew is an up & coming collector already.

I suppose, the easiest way is for me to type up the particular instuctions for this part of the operation and add it to the spare manual I have for a MK2 "World Wide" version (100-240V 50/60Hz)

In the inside cover of User Manual for the World Wide version I have, it does make mention to certain other variants: CEE,CSA,UL & LA not having a Voltage Selector & Cycle Conversion switches but this was before the UK (BSI) version was introduced with the different Shut-Off system.

Just to add, I can obtain a UK User Manual from the US but it's far too expensive.

Cheers for now.