View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2017, 10:58 pm   #9
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Wooden Telephone Identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakophone View Post
Thanks for your replies, yes it s a pity I don't have another one although not quite sure what I would do with it if I did! I will keep a look out for the daffodil part of the mouthpiece at the next NVCF, although guess this part maybe quite hard to come by.

I think I have now identified the exact model:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/k7842.htm
I once bought a similar one to your but without the bell. Eventually another identical one appeared - so don't give up!

I never cease to be surprised.

I have a GPO wall mounted CBS No 3 signalling switchboard - the only one to survive out of the 475 which the GPO had as rural exchanges in village post offices. It had been lying around since 1955 when I acquired it in 2002.

Sadly it was missing some vital parts like the ringing generator - eventually a GPO Generator Hand No 8 - the correct one came up on eBay.

Another thing missing from the front was a switchable 50mA/500mA GPO 'Ammeter No 13'.

When I checked the only place it was used was on these 20 line CBS N 3 switchboard!

I thought 'No chance' but a brand new one still in its box came up on eBay - I was the only bidder. Then a year or so later another used one came which also came my way.

You might find that will happen with your phone. Bear in mind it should work to a similar 'battery calling' telephone.

Ian J