View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 9:10 am   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Good Cheap Plastic Polish.

I've visited their stores in Hull, Beverley and York this last couple of days and none of them have the polish.

In all of those stores, food items - soft drinks, sweets, snacks, milk - predominated.

I think the stock range varies from branch to branch according to what sells and what doesn't in each locality. Furthermore, as the value of the pound has dwindled over the years, certain items that used to be stocked aren't any longer, presumably because they can't source the items to be able to sell at the £1.00 price point with a profit margin, bearing in mind that on non-food items, the net revenue to the company is just £0.83p - 17p is VAT. As many items are imported from China, the deals will be done in $USD, and the GPB hasn't faired well this last year or two.

£1.00 in 1990 when the first store was opened now equates to £2.30, or to put it the other way round, £1.00 today equates to 44p in 1990, so as time passes, it will become even harder to stick to the 'everything is £1.00' offering. An example of an item that I often bought was clip-top food storage boxes, ideal for component storage. They had them for some years, but they disappeared off the shelves maybe five years ago. It's remarkable that they still sell large tubes of UHU glue for £1.00 when the same sized tube - even on ebay - is in excess of £4.50. Another item I've found excellent is 'Wizz Oxy' fabric stain remover which - even in tepid water - is great for cleaning stained speaker fabric with minimal shrinkage.

Interesting programme on ITV about Poundland last night 10.40pm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oxi Fabric Stain Remover (Poundland).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	144851