View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 1:13 pm   #14
Stevie342000
Hexode

Default Re: Brenell STB-1 Restoration & Help Needed

Thanks Barry, I was not sure oh the Phi-Magnetronics front if it was still around or not.

Yes I am aware of the Nortronics heads and there is a source of them in the US, as Joe Dundovic sold off what I seem to recall was his company to another guy whose name escapes me right now.

It seems that there are not that many quality machines (unless the heads are better than the plastic build or budget electronics inside) you can butcher to get 1/2 track stereo heads off, the choice is limited but not for 1/4.

What interests me is that the same heads where used with solid state and valves from Bogen by Brenell. That is not usually possible without some component changes to use a high or a low impedance head into a high or low impedance input.

Even the Nortronics heads will not be that cheap but they will be less expensive than getting them made new.

As for making them, that could be possible but I do not have access to the laminations or know where to get them from?

Plus I would need to make up a several jigs (which need to be very accurately made) and I am pretty sure that there are articles in Wireless World or some other magazine on how to make them. Plus there would be some maths involved as well, it is not as simple as it first looks.

I have never taken a Brenell (or some other manufacturers) head to pieces but I wonder if there is some way to take two mono heads and to flip one over so it forms the lower track and then to bring it all back together.

I will need to scour your tape manufacturers books to look for other suitable donor machines using Mini-flux, Marriot and other such heads for experimentation. But simplest option is Ferrograph Stereo heads any other cheaper and more plentiful makes for donors?

The buy a machine option as donor is no longer the cheapest option either have you seen the prices of some of the machines these days, Ferrographs were once very cheap, as were Brenells but not any more.