View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2017, 10:34 am   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Is blu tak the magic cheapo option for non audiophiles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
If it sounds better to you then just do it. 2g is a bit high for an AT95E though.
The point is, it may sound 'better', especially if things were so bad before, but if mistracking (not talking about resonance now) has been introduced as a result of mismatched cartridge compliance vs arm/headshell/blu tak mass, then the resultant mistracking can cause permanent damage to vinyl records, and that will be heard in due course, and permanently.

But in any case it transpires the OP is more concerned with uses of blu tak, and yes it has been legitimately used to bond cartridges to headshells while maintaining best operating parameters wrt tracking and resonance as I have described. The required scale of understanding to achieve that being the ability to add up three numbers and see where two points on a graph intersect. So in conclusion (my conclusion) my answer to the question "Is blu tak the magic cheapo option for non audiophiles?", my answer is, it is cheap, it does have its uses, but it's not magic.

Last edited by stevehertz; 21st Mar 2017 at 10:51 am.