View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2012, 4:32 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default Radio 5 Live Echo (Empty Hall) Effect ?

I'm sure this may have asked before but I can't find any previous threads on the topic.

It wasn't until a few years back, having acquired several working MW radios, that I came across this effect.

I was testing out a radio on MW and tuned into Radio 5 Live and to compare the sound, I turned on one of my other MW radios and noticed the echo (empty hall) effect. It soon dawned on me that one radio was tuned to 693 kHz & the other to 909 kHz.

To double check, I swapped frequencies on the radios and, sure enough, the effect was still there.

On careful listening, it was soon obvious that one signal was slightly delayed than the other.

Later, I discovered that I could get a similar effect just using one radio and this may be due to the position of local transmitters.

I noticed that I received strong signals for 5 Live from different directions, one from the direction of Bedford and the other from the direction of Oxford.

If I point the radio to Bedford, tuned in to either 693 or 909 and then, whilst slowly turning the radio towards Oxford, about half way between, although the signal gets weaker, I get the same echo effect.

Anyone else come across this ?