View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2017, 7:00 pm   #8
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: S2055N horizontal deflection transistor keeps failing on CRT TV with the F19 chas

Thank you all for you responses and really helpful explanations, they made sense and they were spot on!

C68 had a bad joint and was in a pretty sorry state as you can see by the picture bellow:

Click image for larger version

Name:	z.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	148886

The schematic says that this is 10nF capacitor but mine had printed 15nF and only measured 3nF.
In my junk of spare parts i was able to find a BU508A and a really, really old 7nF capacitor. I've tried them in circuit and i was able to get a nearly full horizontal deflection without blowing the transistor.
Eventually the yoke started arcing with the CRT after a few 2 minutes and the transistor failed, but this time i guess it happened because of the "not so up to spec" parts.

The thing is, i was only getting horizontal deflection, not vertical deflection.
The IC responsible for vertical deflection is a TDA8351. On pin 7 i get a short to ground. I'm not really acquainted with these ICs but pin 7 measuring only 2 ohms to ground didn't made sense to me. Could this be also bad?
If that's the case, I didn't know that a horizontal deflection failure could cause also a problem in the vertical deflection area.

Also here is a picture of the S2055N as you required:

Click image for larger version

Name:	z2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	148887