View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2017, 8:15 pm   #18
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Re: Is Blu-Tack the magic cheapo option for non audiophiles?

Re Hartley and his Linn/ blu-tac/ coin combo and the countless aftermarket mods and enhancements marketed for the most expensive of decks, I find it really hard as a consumer to accept why very expensive (to me at least) and reputedly well engineered pieces of kit still benefit from this sort of thing.

I've seen the Linn arms being made, perfected and tested... no mention of blu-tac.

I suppose what I am saying is that is thinking of spending a decent amount of money on a good deck to last me many years, I can't believe that the 2/3/400 quid I may end up spending will still need to be topped up with 17p worth of blu-tac. This is exactly the sort of thing I want to avoid! I love my vintage gear, but I think vinyl is worth spending a bit on for the satisfaction of owning a precision item (I don't rate my chances of getting a vintage deck running as it should).

No criticism of this post by the way... I speak as someone who packed a load of the blu stuff into a Technics CD player in the 90s (it was free tac and I was advised by a proper audio engineer).