View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2006, 12:08 pm   #12
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: FotH TV System / Converters Discussion

Hi Darius,
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeurope View Post
I only thing wanted to point out that Darryl made the first 819 I know.
So the race, if there was one, who gets first 819 is won by Darryl's Aurora.
I've never made any claim to be the first to generate any of these standards. But, I've gathered using consumer computer hardware to generate obsolete standards has been something which has been discussed a lot over the years, but has never been done. That's where I come in...

I wasn't actually aware of how long this idea had been around as my interest in vintage television only really began after I'd managed to get 405-line video out of the PC. Now I have three TV sets and a broadcast monitor with 405-line capability along with one 819/625-line set. I doubt I'll stop at that...

I'm also aware that I'm not the first to generate 405-line video with a computer, I'm aware of two people who've reprogrammed the CRTC in a BBC model B computer to generate 405-line video. But that's a long way from being able to watch off-air or recorded television.

But as far as I'm aware I am the first to get good quality off-air or recorded moving pictures on 405-line and 819-line using little more than normal unmodified consumer computer hardware and readily available software. I'll take credit for that, if credit is due. Jim Beacon beat me to 240-line though...

I've proven it can be done and established what seems like a good way to do it. It still needs refining, but it's flexible and more standards will follow.

Quote:
At the monent I have trouble to get 625 from my grafic card video out and it is made for 625
If it involves Windows then I'm afraid I can't really help; I've not managed to get 625-line from a Windows system either, not that I've tried all that hard. I just don't get along with the operating system; it stops me doing what I want with the hardware.

Quote:
I am very impressed that it is possible to make 819/405 etc from a grafic card.
Thanks

What it all comes down to is that the hardware is capable of this; the "trick" is I'm using an operating system which doesn't hide low-level functionality and lets me access the capabilities of the hardware easily.

Regards, Kat