View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2017, 11:16 pm   #5
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Indentifying transistor pinouts with a DMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post

Now use the Hfe range. You know which the base lead is, connect that to the 'b' hole of the test socket. Try the other 2 leads each way round in the 'e' and "c' sockets. One way will give a much higher reading than the other (for the 2N3906 I've just tried it was around 200 one way, 3 the other). The connection that gives the higher reading is the right one, you have the collector in 'c', etc.
I have seen a trick used to quickly identify the C from the E with a meter, Though the meter must be a type with an Rx10k range and a 22.5V battery, like the Hioki A-10. It is based on the fact that the typical zener voltage of the B-E is around 7v for a silicon signal transistor, and usually much higher for the B-C. So the B-E conducts with both meter polarities on the B-E connections but only one way on the B-C connection.

However, I've never thought this was a good idea because each time the B-E is zenered, it slightly degrades the transistor's hfe, without altering the transistor's other parameters (the mechanism of this effect has been the subject of some good research papers by Motorola). I have experimented with this effect as a tool to hfe match transistor pairs, its very real.

I have seen it claimed (by Audiophiles) that due to coupling capacitors to bipolar OP amps, when the power is switched on and off, that the input transistors b-e 's get zenered, slowly degrading the OP amp performance. I haven't bought into this notion completely, but I guess its possible.