View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2012, 3:41 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye VT2 EHT problems

Must admit Matt I feel the same way about this. I'm not completely convinced this is a LOPT fault. I would not melt the original pitch but if you remove the transformer and give it blasts from a hot air gun, just enough to give the pitch a glaze as such and then let it cool, repeating several times, it should improve matters if the transformer is damp without causing any actual damage. You are more than welcome to cart it up the A3 to my place if you want to have a play with it in my workshop. Failing this it will have to be a warm spot such as on the top of the central heating boiler [trusting it's not an AGA!] Your H.T. is correct so I don't think it will be the caps. You probably have but check the screen volts on the PL81 pin 8. Should be approx. 112V. Clutching at straws here but if the screen resistor 8.2k has risen in value it will give identical symptoms to yours but don't get too excited. John.
PS AS jeffrey suggests, if you have any spark on the anode of the EY51 it might be worth using a solid stick rectifier with the EY51 disconnected. You can also heat the EY51 from a 6v battery[heater winding disconnected] to see if you can get anything on the screen [roomlights out] providing the ion trap has not been disturbed. It may be difficult to reset it with such low EHT. The tube should give a glimmer at 500v.