View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2012, 10:09 am   #5
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Philips PM5509 TV Pattern Generators

Hi Peter and Andrew.

Thank you for your replies, that helps to clear the doubt I had regarding the model numbering system.

As an aside to my PM5509Gs, I have just got my older PM5508 working and find the build quality better than the PM5509.
What I like about the PM5508 is the all-transistor circuitry which makes it far more likely to effect a repair. Having said that there is a small scattering of germanium transistors and quite a few germanium diodes.

The mechanical VHF and UHF modulators are also quite robust and only needed light lubrication.

The repairs consisted of replacing all the electrolytic capacitors (total of 12) located on the three hinge out panels. The two chassis mounted power supply electrolytics were reformed without problems.

I had to replace GR102, BZY59 a 6.2V zener diode on the small power supply sub panel as the +6V rail was slightly low. The UHF modulator scale bulb (6V 0.1A MES) needed replacement. The only other item that was replaced was the mains IEC connector as it had disintegrated. Fortunately, the replacement lined up exactly with the mounting holes in the chassis.
All in all a very useful pattern generator.

I must get back to my PM5509Gs and will persevere without the service information.

Regards
Symon.