View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2017, 4:05 pm   #8
Stevie342000
Hexode

Default Re: Brenell STB-1 Restoration & Help Needed

Thanks Barry I have several Brenells some with AEI motors, some with a mix of AEI plus Papst for the capstan and some with all Papst motors.

I have Brenell MK610 that needs heads and electronics but is other wise complete, I suspect that the AEI and Papst motors will fit the same top plate no matter what model, given that a Ferrograph motor has been fixed to mine.

Will have to trace the circuit out and check out what the modifications are and get back here but given that I move in June that is not going to happen before then.

I have another Mk5 S2 or 3 not sure but it is the green version and that has been put in a home made unit no electronics with stereo heads and it fails to move tape when I put it into play position. I assume this is an indication of an open papst spool motor? It rewinds/fast forwards tape fine just does not play, it also has Bogen heads and no idea if they work.

The Mk5 that I have with the tape link if memory serves the erase head is fine, but there may be issues with one or other of the channels on playback again Bogen heads, that is also a green version.

The Tape link worked fine that last time I used it, never fired up the Jason tape link, its a very nice unit all black front fascia with copper banding yep real copper, funnily enough I think it pre-dates the Brenell Tape link by a few years it crops up in the old magazines. It was part of a range available in kit form as well.

I have plenty of spare tape deck units to use for spare parts and plenty of spare tape heads.

To be fair the STB-1 might have been a halfway house but it was streets ahead of the competition, functionality and sound terms but pricey. It came as no surprise that the paper used to wedge those capacitors in was a Sunday Times, the paper fits the income bracket of the person who would have been able to afford this machine or the STB-2. The Vortxion CBL machines were not cheap either but equally good machines.