View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2006, 10:40 am   #9
Cobweb
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: FotH TV System / Converters Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy View Post
All three systems stand on their own merits - I am far more likely to get away with a converter in the front room!
Indeed they do, and I can well appreciate that most people probably wouldn't want a computer sitting in their lounge, next to the TV or whatever... I mean, we instituted a "no computers in the lounge" rule, several years ago - only problem is, this is a rather geeky household and so the rule has been practically impossible to hold to Well no... totally impossible, if I'm being honest - there are four running machines in here as I write! The main MythTV box, my main PC (which is supposed to be hiding upstairs but is currently home to a heard of lego horses- don't ask!), and two laptops (one mine, the other Herself's)!

Mind you, the MythTV system does have the advantage that you can split the backend and frontend functionality across more than one machine: have the noisy machine with hard-drives and tuner cards and everything hiding away somewhere, and have, say, a fanless mini-itx machine in the lounge as the frontend. Perhaps a way to get the idea past some Significant Others?

But then, I suspect I'm probably one of a rather special group of SOs who are actually not unhappy to have old TV sets in the lounge in the first place... so what do I know?

Regards,

Cobweb