View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 2:21 am   #13
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Origin of terms "Roofing filter" and "Reciprocal mixing"

Phase noise in oscillators was investigated in the mid 1960s by Dave Leeson and he came up with his classic phase noise equation some time around 1966 I believe. This allowed the noise of an oscillator to be modelled wrt flicker noise at 9dB/octave and thermal noise at 6dB/octave and the noise floor was a function of the loaded Q and frequency etc.

I think he was asked to do this work because the phenomenon of reciprocal mixing had recently been appreciated in those days although I don't know when it was first called reciprocal mixing. But clearly there was some demand for this research work to be completed (in a hurry) back in those days.

I've used Leeson's equation numerous times when designing oscillators from HF through to many GHz and it always seems to give good results. The only thing I struggle to predict accurately up at many GHz is the flicker corner frequency. But I usually model the far out phase noise at 100kHz and 1MHz offsets within 3dB of the 'real circuit when tested, even for oscillators up at several GHz

I also have a copy of the "White Noise Book" here and I've done a fair bit of NPR testing at work although this was 20 years ago...