View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2013, 9:36 am   #4
marc_uk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Mutek Masthead preamp info needed

Thanks Sean, Thanks David too.

I found the +ve and obviously GND so I can test the thing, seems to work too, albeit at the shack end for now. started on a fairly flat PP3 battery and resistor.

Yes I've never been fond of RF sensed switching of things, because in my experience, whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. Seem to have trouble opening the thing up too, so I'll leave it for now as I don't want to round the screw heads off, but will drop a tiny bit of WD40 on them possibly later to un-fix the darn things. I figured 100W would be max or there about as not much use as a masthead preamp if you're only limited to a few watts!

I'm guessing the 3rd connector in the power input is the PTT but haven't advanced any further in that particular direction because, rather amazingly, the Guy I bought it off got in contact with the amateur he bought it off years ago who still has the original paperwork! Now whether this paperwork gives anymore useful info remains to be seen, but good detective work.

I'm not sure if I tried G3SEK whilst looking for a 70cms preamp some months ago, callsign rings a bell, but I've slept since then, though not constantly you understand!

Thanks Chaps, this is how i shall proceed with some good advice and help, so I guess we'll see what Mutek's 1980's instructions were like soon. Can post back if anyone's interested or for future reference perhaps, for other vintage Mutek masthead purchasers.

Thanks, Mark.