View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2012, 10:17 pm   #1
jonboysez
Retired Dormant Member

Default Trouble with a 706 faint dial tone.

Hi,

I've acquired a 706 that needed rewiring so I've wired it according to the instructions on the relevant sites and noticed that the dial tone was very faint and when phoning out neither I nor the receiver could hardly hear each other talking. I tested the bell by phoning it from my mobile and it worked ok, sometimes needed me to nudge the clapper to get it going, but usually worked ok.

I have been known to get the wires reversed so I reversed the wiring and this time the dial tone was strong and both speech sent and received was strong, but now the bell stopped ringing on incoming call, so I reversed blue and green wires but this still did not make the bell ring.

I've tried the wires in different combinations that many times now, but always white and red to either T8 and T18, and blue and green to either T6 and T15). I did a bit of research and noticed the regulator board seems a bit slack in the slots, so took it out gave the pins a clean and pushed it back in but its still a bit wobbly in the slots, I've turned it over to see if that makes a difference too but I'm still left with the same problem - either I have strong dial tone and no ringing bell, or faint dial tone and a ringing bell!

The original line cord that came with it only has 3 inner wires - white red and green (I forgot to see how it was connected begore disconnecting it - silly me!) but I think I found the original wiring online and tried it - bell rung but faint dial tone again - I've also swapped the transmitter and receiver in the handset - does it matter which way round the wires go at either end?

I'm also using non-standard line cord (it's American 4 wire flat telephone cable - yellow, green, red, black in place of white green blue red - got a good deal on it). The handset is correctly wired inside the telephone. I've disconnected rectifier 205 and replaced 3.3k resistor with strap until I sort it, if ever!