View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2010, 1:13 am   #19
KeithEllis
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips Hi-Z record player

I wondered if I'd ever see one of these in the flesh, so to speak.

It does in fact date from 1957/58 and according to my Currys brochure (see attached) is called a 'Magic Box'... hopefully my dubious photographic skills haven't rendered the description unreadable!

As can be seen it's included in the Hi-fidelity section of the brochure (I have the other two machines pictured but not the magic box), and if it sounds anything like these then it must sound good. I wouldn't imagine at 49GNS many were sold, so it's probably extremely rare.

I'd have to agree with Barry that it's highly unlikely all the cartridges are duds. I have two, one I obtained from a Disc Jockey Major and a NOS one I paid twenty pounds for. The one from the Disc Jockey sounds good but the other takes the sound to another level. Before I bought it I did experiment by gutting another Philips headshell , but none of the cartridges I tried – including a Sonotone, Acos and BSR – sounded anything like the NOS one, which surprised me.
I think the best thing you can do is replace the caps Michael mentions, and just hope it's not the speaker.
Good luck.
Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	34478   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	34479