View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:27 am   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Akai 4000DS Mk2 (II) UK Only Version Info Please

Interesting, I've never heard of this variation. Had to check my DB [right next to me] to work out what you are saying. I notice [for the first time] that mine has a a 50/60 mechanical setting on the front AND a switch for same on the back-a simplification of the build? It does have the mains ON/SHUT OFF switch as you say and I do recall being slightly intrigued by this [circa 1970] until I realised auto shut off might be usefull to avoid the end of reel whipping round and round if I wasn't there at that point! [used to do two hours at a time recording off the radio while at the pub].

Can't quite see what the "problem" is that you mention though? Does the manual have some extra info for useage? Would your nephew not understand? On the DB here [unlike your machine] both the deck and the electronics WILL operate in the ON position. SHUT-OFF being an additional lever feature.

However, imagining that my deck ONLY functions in the SHUT-OFF position [for example] then you need the tape lever tensioned up sending power to the deck AND the electronics-different but very similar to yours. Can't quite see how it would be such a problem to operate it in this way, ie working with a tape loaded?

So my questions are. What obvious factor am I missing? If it's such a difficulty is there no way of hard wiring around it? Sorry to be so long winded but it's hard to keep this one short-I'm confusing myself.
No doubt it's something very obvious. Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 3rd May 2010 at 11:32 am. Reason: clarity-I hope