View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 8:29 pm   #19
Colourstar
Octode

Default Re: Dux/Philips Swedish TV-Radiogram!

Wow, thanks everyone for the information. It's especially great to have some input from the set's home territory.

I think this is the most sophisticated monochrome valve set I have seen. It seems oddly mismatched with the rather ordinary radio and cheap record deck...

I'm sure no UK televison of this era used push-pull transformerless audio output. That really is quite something! Also it's the earliest I've seen a DY87 EHT rectifier make an appearance. Most of our sets were using the EY86 in the mid/late 50s. I'm pretty sure the DY87 didn't really come into use until fairly well into the 1960s.

I believe the Swedish TV service began in 1958, only a year before this model appeared, so perhaps the fact that this set is designed to cope with poor signal areas suggests that transmitter coverage was not very comprehensive to begin with. Maybe one of our Swedish friends can comment on this? I also read that a second tv channel did not arrive until 1969 with colour following in the early part of 1970.

I too am looking forward to pressing the 'LOTS' button, but I think there's a steep learning curve ahead of me. I'm glad I will be able to ask for help from you all you knowledgeable folk when it gets too much!

Steve J