View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010, 9:50 am   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default Akai 4000DS Mk2 (II) UK Only Version Info Please

Akai produced a version for the UK market (marked BSI on their circuit diagram) of the 4000DS Mk2. This is identifiable by it being 240VAC/50Hz only (has no adjustable mains options/external fuse nor 50/60Hz mechanical or electronic selectors)

The other difference with the UK only version is the set-up of the AUTO SHUT-OFF mech/function, in that there is no option to select ON/SHUT-OFF from the (mains) POWER switch, as with other versions of the MK2.

Instead the POWER switch only functions as an ON-OFF switch, and when set to ON, the electronics of the machine comes on (indicated by the VU meter lamps lighting) but the motor will not start & consequently nor will the FWD/RWD/F.FWD operate unless the tape SHUT-OFF lever is tensioned at all times by the tape being in place.

This set up does give rise to a 'problem':

1) If you don't want the AUTO SHUT-OFF Function, then you can't operate the machine's drive.

OK now, to my question/request:

As I'm going to hand this machine onto my 15 year old Nephew and I want to make sure he has reference to this particular 'peculiar' set-up and I don't have the User Manual for this UK version, does anyone have a User Manual that they would be willing to scan the section on setting up this function and who would be willing to email me that section?

Many thanks.