View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2017, 6:08 pm   #7
MartinMarris
Tetrode

Default Re: Appeal Of This Hobby

Thanks for all the answers. I too really enjoy the trouble-shooting aspect, which fits in with point (2) in my original post.

With reference to TV restoration, I could add a sixth item:

(6) Watching programming, including era-appropriate TV programmes from the past, on a vintage television.

Which leads me to a question of some interest to me. How many of us make substantial use of these sets once they are restored to viewable condition? Do they largely stay cantoned to the workshop (or home "museum") or do some of them end up in the living room getting daily use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
I have the same thing when it comes to the I really like old cruddy Heathkit stuff that has been badly assembled. That’s a world of masochistic fun to get working again
Yup, I've done quite a lot of that, especially the "educational series": the "EF" series (learning how to use test instruments such as a VTVM, a 'scope or a signal generator) as well as EK-1 and EK-2A and -2B (Basic Electricity and Basic Radio).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
What I’d kill for is an unassembled Heathkit television.
They very occasionally turn up on eBay here in the U.S. although of course they are the NTSC versions.

My family lived in the Washington DC area in 1969/70. I remember my dad taking me to the local Heathkit store and seeing the assembled TVs and electronic organs.

Last edited by MartinMarris; 23rd Sep 2017 at 6:37 pm.