View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2006, 11:09 am   #8
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: PC as a standard convertor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X
I'm straying into an area I know nothing about here. Isn't 5.5 Mbit/s just the number of pixels per second? ie 405 X 405 X 4/3 X 25 = 5467500?
I did say 5.5 million bytes per second, Ie. 44 Mbit/s. That is still not a problem for a modern PC, as each byte is processed in parallel within the PC. So the internal calculations will still 'only' need to happen at 5.5 million operations per second. In fact for many types of operations the PCs processor can handle 4 bytes at a time, 32 bits.

Once you have a frame calculated and ready in memory, blanking plus sync pulses and all, you push one byte (8 bits) at a time to a fast Digital to Analog (D/A) converter at a rate of around 5.5 million per second. This needs to be done all the while you calculate the next frame.

The only way I can think of this becoming cheap enough to compete with a device like the Aurora (£145) mentioned by Darius, is if one can reprogram an inexpensive, old graphics card, so that we can use its video capable DACs for our sinister purposes. I'm not even sure if the hardware on graphics cards allows us to use it this way.

Best regards

Frank N.