View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2014, 10:47 pm   #20
Alvin
Heptode

Default Re: Perdio Portarama Dual Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
My other interest draws me back to the Laskys advert - 'We prefer not to send these sets by carrier....(but) will send by Express Passenger Train Parcels service at a cost of £4' Those were the days!
Gosh I'd all but forgotten about the Red Star Parcels service - some time in the late 70's a friend who was banned from driving asked me to take him from London to Huntingdon to get his Quad Electrostatics serviced and borrowed his brother in law's Morris Minor Pickup for transport. Having dropped off the speakers at Quad we went into town for lunch then toured the shops where he spotted an art deco china cabinet he just had to have so that was duly purchased and loaded in the back of the pickup then back to Quad for the serviced speakers but no matter how many times we rearranged the load of three large items I just couldn't see out of the rear view mirror. With only one tiny wing mirror we drove carefully to the station just in time to get one of the speakers on a train then headed back to London to drop off the cabinet and one speaker at his flat before picking up the other one at Kings Cross station.......as you say those indeed were the days!!

Alvin

PS Hauling this back on topic I had a brief flirtation with a Portorama around 4 years ago picking it up at Wimbledon car boot sale then selling it at Harpenden a few months later......I loved the style of it but couldn't justify the cost of an Aurora at the time so let it go.