View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2014, 12:52 am   #18
Wendymott
Octode

Default Re: Perdio Portarama Dual Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
The name and logo turned up again in the late Eighties, as old names so often did. This time it was through Colorvision
Hi Guys. As Glyn says, Perdio in deed did return in the late eighties, obviously only a "label" set. I was an engineer for NEI " Network Electronic Industries", and by that time, we had a "Safety Test Lab" in Bradford, behind the University. The intention was to test to BS415, however, just before we were accredited, the BSI changed the requirements of accreditation, and NAMAS was formed. It was impossible to meet the new standards, thus we could only "pre" test and advise. Our first "none" NEI job was for Perdio, and as I remember it. The cabinet, although it passed the "burning test", the smoke that was emitted was that laden with soot, it looked horrible, but "technically" it passed the test. After our "pre test" the sample was returned and we heard no more about it. Whether it did actually go into production, I don't know.

As far as the Portarama was concerned, the LOPT circuit was VERY Fragile, we sold two in the late sixties, and both had Line Issues, replacing the Transistor and boost diodes. However years later, John Birkett of Lincoln bought some of the redundant stock, particularly the Line Transformers and boost diodes.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY

Last edited by Wendymott; 24th Nov 2014 at 12:56 am. Reason: Additional data