View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2017, 5:14 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Murphy D26 (1935) Fixed.

After some not so successful attempts at fixing old radios this came as a welcome change.
I’ve had this set some years and restored and cabinet about 10 years ago. Today I decided it was time to look at it and hopefully get it working.
I powered it up to be greeted with a loud hum. I very quickly switched it off; I removed the chassis from the cabinet and had a good look. I’d successfully fixed my A30 last year which looks very similar so I was expecting to see lot of wax capacitors and a large Murphy “condenser box”. I was surprised to see none of this but lots of silver capacitors of varying makes. It looked as if someone had attempted to fix it many years before I obtained the set.
The first thing I replaced was the Hunts duel electrolytic cap (16 uf x 16 uf) as it read remarkably low. I used a couple of 22 uf and to my delight the radio sprang into life. It was still producing a hum but nothing like before so I decided to replace all the existing caps. While I was doing this a few wires just disconnected themselves from their solder joints with very little disruption. So I made good and re-soldered all this previous work to make sure everything was well connected.
I replaced the horrible white mains lead with a nice period fabric covered one and I now have a very nice radio wich doesn't hum.
It’s incredibly sensitive; I can even pick up stations without an aerial plugged in, with one it sounds really good and goes very loud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07226.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	145216   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3456.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	145217