View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2011, 7:58 pm   #8
david winter
Hexode

Default Re: 1940 Lorenz Textophon wire recorder

Ok, the news for this evening are not the best, but there's some progress.
The amplifier chassis is put back and the wire spools and rewinds.
The fuse blew again and this time I could hear a light "frost" noise. So I'm pretty sure that one of the remaining capacitors is bad.
There are three loose ones (easily "refitable"), one pack of four dual capacitor cans, and one strange board with two 2µF capacitors which happen to both have an unused end going to a small wheel on a screw. I don't know why but this really seems original, like if they were meant to connect something that is not usually necessary. A quick idea is a direct wire to wire copy but not sure at all. Or a direct access to the play/record head for an external amplifier or even radio broadcast. Anyhow...

Tomorrow I will fit all those capacitors with new ones and try again.
What puzzles me is how some paraffin could have dropped on the wires going to those dual capacitor cans. One or two obviously leaked and had paraffin coming out, but I can't imagine them "jetting" the paraffin toward the wires (about an inch away from the solders). I just hope it's not the big and heavy motor as it will be a real challenge to have it rewound... once removed...

More news tomorrow, hopefully better than today.