View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2005, 10:52 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Hacker Hunter RP38A .... the best radio Ive bought to date in all respects

Hello,

Sometimes one acquires something which is really special, that was inexpensive to buy but after some work on it, becomes a lot more valuable, that is old yet absolutely perfect in all respects, cos a previous owner has bought it and then simply put it in a cupboard and forgotten about it so it has remained essentially as new. This is such a rewarding item.

I bought this Hacker Hunter from eBay some time ago for around £15 including postage. It had never been used so was totally unmarked but had been neglected cos the chrome handle ends were rusty so I put an ad on the forum for a replacement handle but sadly noone had one So I went hunting for a new handle for it. I considered buying another Hunter but theyre quite expensive (and much too nice) radios to break for spares and then I spotted one, not on a Hunter but on a cheap scruffy old Hacker Autocrat which has the very same handle. The handle was mint so I acquired the Autocrat for a couple of quid and then did a quick exchange of handles and at long last I had completed my Hunter.

Apart from a clean and a polish I didnt have to do anything else to this radio.
It looks brand new and as for its sound quality, well I have no other radio apart from maybe my Hacker Sovereign which sounds as good and this is a much nicer looking radio. Even my R900 which is the best sounding Roberts I have doesnt sound as good. I can play the Hunter really loud and it sounds more like a good sized mains radio than a portable, with clear treble and midrange and decent extended bass with just a hint of bloom.... an amazing performance for a compact set. And it is beautifully built as well, very robust and makes Roberts sets look flimsy in comparison.

So heres a pic of my mint Hacker Hunter RP38A, not a lot of restoration work to report but one absolutely fabulous radio to write about. Its the best radio I have and it deserves to be a classic. If you havent got a Hunter yourself, get one now while theyre still sensibly priced !

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp38a.jpg
Views:	4019
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1559