View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2009, 11:33 pm   #1
silver ghost
Triode

Default repairing 1950s Philips record player, long post

Hi

I have received a radio with a record player at the bottom. It's a bit large, the sort people had in their living room. The radio have been repaired and new valves put in, and are working fine. However the record player is not. I am looking for someone who can help me fix it. I found this video on youtube and it looks like the exact model that's in this Philips cabinet.

If you can see the two round buttons in the front left corner. They are still there in my turntable but the bits that connected them to the rest of the mechanism is missing. Is is possible to find replacement parts for this old thing?

The cartridge is not working either, but it looks like I have come in contact with someone who has a working replacement for this one.

I think I might have to rewire the tonearm. There are three wires that goes from the end of the tonearm where the cartridge plugs on; two red ones and a copper one that twirls around the other two. Third one might be grounding. From somewhere under the turntable there are two wires that goes into the radio and connects with plane banana plugs. I have found new replacement for these. One was broken and one was missing. I couldn't find the 1950's type, and I went for some gold plated ones. Their really meant for speaker cables but I think they will work.

These days the most common tonearm wire are silver plated copper, I all ready have lots of it, but can I use this type? I don't understand the grounding wire and quite how to replace it. The wire that goes from under the turntable and connects to the radio have some kind of metal woven stocking that cover the two cables, and looks like at it is soldered to one of the wires some how. The plastic isolation for the two banana connection wires are crumbling away and in bad condition and needs to be replaced. My worry is how to make the grounding work as it should. I have no idea for replacement wires of this type.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions for this project?