View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2012, 11:45 am   #35
Whaam68
Hexode

Default Re: JLH Class 'A' Amplifier

After getting the amp board kits & single rail power supply board mentioned earlier in this thread I decided to try & lash a JLH amp together using the parts I have knocking about, namely a 25v 300 v/a toroid (greater than 18v but my speakers are 15ohm so I hope this will work), a black hammond chassis from an old valve amp project & a couple of massive heatsinks I got cheap on ebay (they were being used for Aquarium LED lighting). It's only about 70% done. The boards went together very quickly & the parts quality seems very good for the money, caps look to be decent quality etc. The metalwork has taken quite a bit longer than expected as the heatsinks are quite unwieldy. Although the parts kit with the PCB's is very good there are no insulated sleeves for the transistor mounting bolts for offboard mounting on the heatsink ...which I didn't realise I needed (knowing not much about transistors)...I've now ordered these & will get back on it when they arrive. The amp boards also included a speaker protection board kit with a relay...may also build this & incorporate it into the build. Although I've managed to successfully build a couple of valve amps from PCB's before this is my first go with anything transistor & first use of a toroid...potential for disaster is high so stay tuned!

I could do with a steer on the power supply...

-my single rail supply is CRC using 8 4700uf 50v caps...will this be enough to power both boards....?

Some pics of progress to date....I will make a mesh cover when it's done & adjusted....

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3686.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	64885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3688.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	64886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3689.jpg