UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Decca 121 seen Newcastle. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138618)

FERNSEH 31st Jul 2017 8:17 pm

Decca 121 seen Newcastle.

2 Attachment(s)
How about this beauty? This Decca 121 projection TV set was seen in a charity shop in Newcastle. Like the artwork on the doors?
The second attachment shows how same set should look like.

DFWB.

Ed_Dinning 31st Jul 2017 8:53 pm

Re: Decca 121 seen Newcastle.

Hi David, definitely NOT and improvement, an a pre colour set too!

Ed

Boater Sam 31st Jul 2017 9:00 pm

I could weep.

HamishBoxer 31st Jul 2017 9:10 pm

Total waste.They want how much for it? £120?

MonochromeMarc 31st Jul 2017 9:52 pm

Enough to make one feel decidedly unwell :(

Marc.

Heatercathodeshort 1st Aug 2017 6:43 am

I think we should raise a collection, buy it and burn it. J.

Welsh Anorak 1st Aug 2017 4:41 pm

I blame that afternoon TV programme that takes something 'useless' and makes something 'useful' out of it. Is your picture back to front, by the way?
Glyn

FERNSEH 1st Aug 2017 5:01 pm

The picture of the real Decca 121 was flipped horizontally.

As for that other wretched thing, why not load it on to an old barge, set fire to it and send it down the River Tyne and on to the North Sea?

DFWB.

Heatercathodeshort 1st Aug 2017 5:29 pm

No David, it might frighten the fishes..

To be honest David I thought that Newcastle folk were built from stronger stuff!

Now if it was in some trendy North London boutique where the locals had more money than sense, it could be excused. J.

osx86apple 1st Aug 2017 6:43 pm

Whoever did this needs to be shot. That could have been another nice set saved and restored :(

FERNSEH 1st Aug 2017 8:39 pm

It's very difficult to remove paint from cabinets if the original surface lacquer was stripped off. Many years ago I took on the task of removing horrible pink paint off a Murphy A146 baffle radio. The look of thing beggared belief, the paint looked like it had been applied with a lavatory brush.
So what's happened to the Decca's electronics?

DFWB.

Welsh Anorak 2nd Aug 2017 1:30 pm

I suspect it was dismantled many years ago to make a cocktail cabinet which, as is usual, never happened. I mean how many people actually had cocktail cabinets? I've often seen a tidy old TV in the corner of someone's house and excitedly asked to see it - open the doors and -look!- - an empty box.
Ho hum
Glyn

Station X 2nd Aug 2017 2:10 pm

1 Attachment(s)
This "cocktail cabinet" used to stand in the corner of an elderly relative's living room.

Was it once a TV?

Duke_Nukem 2nd Aug 2017 2:34 pm

Looks identical to a Bush set I once had - model number possibly TV76C, though it was quite some time ago so I could be wrong about the model number.

TTFN,
Jon

FERNSEH 2nd Aug 2017 2:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 964710)
This "cocktail cabinet" used to stand in the corner of an elderly relative's living room.

Was it once a TV?

Possibly a Decca DM4C.

DFWB.

Station X 2nd Aug 2017 2:56 pm

That certainly looks like it. The shape of the bottom and tapered case is the same. The legs were probably a later addition.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/monochro...wn/decca-dm4c/

Thanks.

Voxophone 2nd Aug 2017 2:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 964358)
I think we should raise a collection, buy it and burn it. J.

Unless anyone has a scrap set to restore some internals to the tarted up cabinet? A 405 line 'colour' TV!

This is even worse than the dreaded bluetooth conversion. The empty cabinet could still have looked good and had some use without painting it.

Brigham 2nd Aug 2017 3:50 pm

Here lies the problem:
You would be hard pushed to get £120 for a complete-but-disused example of this set. You MIGHT get an offer on this travesty of an acid-tripping bedside cabinet.

FERNSEH 2nd Aug 2017 4:17 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote StationX: "That certainly looks like it. The shape of the bottom and tapered case is the same. The legs were probably a later addition".

Found upstairs above the shop languishing among the junk another Decca DM4C.
If you think about it, I wasted a lot of time constructing that special chassis for the Beau Decca. Instead, it should have been handed over to those artistic people in Newcastle.

DFWB.

Heatercathodeshort 2nd Aug 2017 4:48 pm

It's amazing what you can do with fake Liberty wallpaper. John.