UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Philips K35 26CS3890 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54404)

Heatercathodeshort 21st May 2010 10:04 pm

Philips K35 26CS3890

5 Attachment(s)
I was presented this morning with a 26" Philips 26CS3890 receiver with Teletext and voice activated remote control. It is fitted with the K35 chassis and was the top of the range for 1983. This particular example is dated December 1983. It has a small internal printer that will print off onto paper a selected teletext page that is then ejected via a small slot on the front. The chassis is fitted with a mains isolation transformer as it is supplied with scart and din video/audio connection sockets.
The chassis is very complicated with an additional audio board together with all the remote control and teletext facilities. The receiver has never broken down and by the look of the thin dust I can well believe this. The tube system is the Mullard 30AX and is still capable of giving very bright pictures as can be seen from the camera shots.
The gentleman that presented me with the receiver showed great interest in the PYE V4 in my collection. He lived at Cambridge in 1953 very close to the Pye factory and purchased a V4 for the Coronation. He said it performed brilliantly with a huge outdoor aerial for many years. You had to have a sensitive set to pick up the AP signal that far out in those days!
I have never seen the Philips voice operated handset before and maybe after the Bank Holiday I will have a play with it. He also included all the paperwork which was very thoughtful of him. If there is any interest in this receiver I will post a few more pics. Regards, John.

murphyv310 21st May 2010 10:17 pm

Re: Philips K35 26CS3890

Hi John.
Never saw one of these up here, no doubt they wouldn't respond to the Scottish dialogue, Perhaps Billy Connolly programmed them for the Glasgow market!
Looks complicated but also seems to work well, nice interesting set to have though.

Sideband 21st May 2010 10:25 pm

These were popular with the BBC and ITV news desks because of the teletext print facility. The voice activated remote is not original though. This was something of a novelty that Philips produced many years ago as a 'Universal' type. I'm not sure how good it was. I remember borrowing one when they were under review and the results were variable to say the least! It's so long ago, I don't even remember how you got it to react to spoken commands. I do know that they didn't like too much background noise otherwise some very odd things could happen.

They were improved at some point but I don't know how good the technology became.

As for the TV itself, K35 chassis with an improved audio output stage which, I think, drove a speaker within a bass-reflex enclosure. Very nice!

SB

mark pirate 21st May 2010 10:27 pm

Voice activated remote? looking forward to this thread :thumbsup:
:beer:
Mark

Jimmyhaflinger 21st May 2010 11:16 pm

We had this same model with built in printer in Italy but our version came with a regular remote (maybe it was just too expensive to make a voice control chipset that could understand Italian)

This set has a regular speaker without the bass reflex enclosure, which instead was instead used in the "cheaper" version without the printer and teletext modules.

By 1982, 30AX CRTs had been sorted out and no longer failed prematurely like the earlier examples from about 1979-81, actually, i think the "improved" version of the 30AX is one of the most durable tubes ever made

chipp1968 22nd May 2010 12:07 am

Interesting set to save for posterity. Like to se more .How it works

repairman 1234 22nd May 2010 2:10 am

Very interesting set, there was one of these in our offered section a while back that i think ended up going to the skip!

Heatercathodeshort 22nd May 2010 7:47 pm

3 Attachment(s)
A few more pictures as requested. The teletext printer is shown in the 'pulled out' position for paper changing. I presume it's heat sensitive like fax paper.
The signal level fed into the set is very low arriving from around 30 miles away and being received on an aerial just 7ft off the ground inside the workshop roof section. Philips sets are very sensitive and could resolve a picture from an old dishcloth!
The extra 'voice commander' remote must be considered a novelty I think. It comes with a thick instruction manual but the previous owner said that it worked very well...EMMM I wonder? You have to 'teach' it your voice, Interesting. J.

KeithsTV 22nd May 2010 7:56 pm

Now there's a great temptation to train it, Shout C:censored:P and it tunes to X factor or something similar;D

Keith

murphyv310 22nd May 2010 8:27 pm

Pity that when text goes after the analogue turn off this excellent feature will be redundant!

Sideband 22nd May 2010 10:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 332442)
A few more pictures as requested. The teletext printer is shown in the 'pulled out' position for paper changing. I presume it's heat sensitive like fax paper.

Not sure you can get it anymore. It was a silvered paper using a thermal print head, very similar in operation to the original Sinclair printer for the ZX80/81.

SB