UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Amateur and Military Radio (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   R1475 info please (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82168)

Terry295 6th Apr 2012 8:38 am

R1475 info please

Does anyone have detailed instructions for setting up the tuning mech for these receivers? Mine seems to be badly misaligned. I have not been successful searching the web so if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Peter.G0DRT 6th Apr 2012 11:05 am

Re: R1475 info please

Try the V.M.A.R.S site.There is a full manual for this receiver at www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/new/r1475.htm It may have the info that you require.

Peter.

Herald1360 6th Apr 2012 8:12 pm

If all those modules are plugin a gallon of switch cleaner wouldn't come amiss!

It looks designed for easy servicing by module swapping in its original life and a nightmare now.

Terry295 8th Apr 2012 5:23 am

Thank you Peter, I do have this data but I have a problem with the main tuning and dial drive mechanism. Unfortunately the VMARS documents don't give much detail on maintaining this. I am reluctant to "dive in" for fear of making the problem worse and completely screwing up the set.

Terry

Terry295 8th Apr 2012 5:28 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herald1360 (Post 519040)
If all those modules are plugin a gallon of switch cleaner wouldn't come amiss!

It looks designed for easy servicing by module swapping in its original life and a nightmare now.

A very fair comment, add to that that most of the resistors are no on average +40% tolerance (and rising) and a fair number of the caps leak like sieves! This can only be a work of love

Terry

Peter.G0DRT 8th Apr 2012 10:08 am

Two other options you could try Terry would be either,RAF Henlow Signals Museum,or RAF Hendon Museum.Both have extensive archives and I have found them to be very helpful and have had good results with my inquiries in the past.Just an outside chance that they may be able to help.

Good luck with the search.

Peter.

Terry295 9th Apr 2012 7:05 am

Thanks Peter, I have tried the local NZRAF museum here but no joy, I do not think that the NZRAF used these sets so no real surprise, I will try both of your suggestions.

onewatt 9th Apr 2012 2:54 pm

Hi Terry,

I have one of these to look at as its the matching RX for my TX. It's work in progress I'm afraid which is slow, but I'll see what info I have when I get a chance to dig. It may be I only have the same as yours, but I seem to remember having something on the alignment procedure somewhere.
What have you actually found so far?
Chris

RobinBirch 10th Apr 2012 2:34 pm

I think I have a full R1475 maintenance manual at home. I'll check when I get home tonight. I may be able to email you a PDF.

If it's still there I managed to rebuild and realign mine from it quite successfully.

Robin

onewatt 10th Apr 2012 7:16 pm

Hi Robin,
I know I haven't got the full service manual for sure:). Would it be at all possible to have same if convenient please.
many Thanks
Chris

RobinBirch 10th Apr 2012 9:28 pm

PM me your email address.

Kind regards

Robin

Terry295 11th Apr 2012 1:25 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinBirch (Post 519920)
I think I have a full R1475 maintenance manual at home. I'll check when I get home tonight. I may be able to email you a PDF.

If it's still there I managed to rebuild and realign mine from it quite successfully.

Robin

Hi Robin

I would certainly appreciate a copy of your manual if you still have it please, do you think there anything in particular that struck you when you restored your set that I might need to know? Apologies for the delay in responding but sometimes work just gets in the way.

Regards Terry

RobinBirch 12th Apr 2012 1:09 pm

Hi Terry,
It's a long time ago and I no longer have the set :-( after a big clear out four or five years ago. However - I ended up replacing pretty much all of the wax paper caps. Other than that, a complete re-align and one or two valves I didn't have to do much. You realise that realigning produces a completely different "wiggly line" on the perspex over the frequency drum?

PM me your email address.

Kind regards

Robin

majoconz 6th Jun 2012 3:56 am

PM me with your email address and I'll send you a pdf of the service manual.

Three years ago I could have delivered it to you in person! Lived in Christchurch for 20 years before moving up here.

Cheers - Martin

trh01uk 8th Jun 2012 7:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinBirch (Post 519920)

Robin

Robin and others,

as the originator of the vmars copy - which is AP2883G, Volume 1 Parts 1 and 2 (and looks complete to me) - I am intrigued to hear you have better info.

Can you tell us exactly what it is that you have, please? The doc reference, for instance?

Richard