UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Taylor 65 B Signal Generator/Never been used (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57879)

Kevin Hoyland 21st Aug 2010 1:05 pm

Taylor 65 B Signal Generator/Never been used

2 Attachment(s)
Hello.

I have just received a Taylor 65B Signal Generatoy that has never been used or plugged in. You will see from the photos that the power cable is still as it was when it left the factory.The screened out put lead is with it. The inside of the generator looks brand new. I would like to have it working but it seems a shame to renew the power cable and change the capacitors. I would be greatfull for comments from members please, thanks.

Ps It needs a set of valves 1. 6x5/ 2. 6J5.

Regards Kev.

Herald1360 21st Aug 2010 10:35 pm

Re: Taylor 65 B Signal Generator/Never been used

If you want it working, you may have little choice about replacements- some components just deteriorate with age, including rubber insulated cables.

If the insulation in that mains cable is perished, you may be able to remove the cotton braid and slip it over something modern, likewise capacitors can be stuffed with new to maintain appearances......

The valves shouldn't be too expensive for NOS spares- both seem to be available for under a tenner- sometime well under.

Any idea about its provenance? It must be unusual for something like this to remain unused.

If it's the one I think it is.... congratulations it looked like a bargain!

Kevin Hoyland 22nd Aug 2010 7:30 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Chris.

Thanks for the reply. You are right, if i am going to use it i will have to make the changes to it for health and safty. I know it is hard to believe none of the cables have perished and as i said the insde is like new. Please see photo. David Harrison is suplying me with 1.6x5 NOS and 2 tested 6J5.

I have 2 other Signal generators 1/ Advance E2 and and 1- Heathkit Rf-IU. So at this point in time i will fit the valves and keep it original.

Regards Kev.

HamishBoxer 22nd Aug 2010 8:19 pm

Well if it was me,i would leave alone in original state and obtain a further one to use and o/haul.

David

PS Its SUPERB

gezza123 23rd Aug 2010 12:27 am

WOW: I wonder where that has been hiding its Fantastic.

:wave: Kev I wonder now that you have opened it could you verify the two biscuit tuning capacitors for me ,it would be much appreciated.These are the two brown ones coming off the band selector,the one's in mine are (.0005 and 0.002 )these had been changed sometime and think they may not be correct value.I have notice that the trimmers are different than on others so it may have been made special for more reliability.Regards Gezza.

PS:as the guy's have said keep it as it is there may never be another so it could be very very colectable in the future.

Kevin Hoyland 23rd Aug 2010 6:51 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Gezza.

Thanks for your reply. The large capacitor on the side is 2000PF, see the photo. The small one is the same as yours .0005 . Hope this will help you.

I feel the comments that have been made are right to keep the 65B original, so when the valves arrive i will keep them in their boxes at the side of the 65B. I will leave the power cable coiled up as it came from the factory. When you look at the Instruction Manual you can see the coil in the power lead on the front cover is the same as the coil on the side of the generator now. I only have a copy of the manual but if some kind person would part with an original it would be like puting the icing on the cake. I have not powered the 65B up so i think i can still say it is like new.

Regards Kev.

gezza123 23rd Aug 2010 7:44 pm

HI: Thank you for that Kev.yes mine are the same values.except in a block bar or thick biscuit .0005 and .002 .
If it were up to me then I would keep it as is,because if you put valves in it you may then need to re- calibrate it and then its not an original as you will have to disturbed those locked trimmers.I must admit that is hard to do.I don't think paul Stenning above has the circuit ,but I got mine from the ( Valvepage.com)the only prob is there aint no components marked on the circuit.so I had to make up my own numbers and put in the values and it works fine now.thanks again.:beer:Gezza
ps: you would also have to change those to caps in the 400c/s oscillator IE: O.O5 450V + O.O3 350V papers and maybe the two 4uf ht caps.

HamishBoxer 23rd Aug 2010 8:23 pm

Hi Kev,glad you are leaving well alone,its like me i have a Band 3 converter in a white bakelite case thats never been plugged in.Sorry if OT.

David

gezza123 23rd Aug 2010 9:26 pm

Hello again Kev.I'm being a bit cheeky now ,could you do a pic of the Oscillator board,these are very good pictures.I would like to put them in my Taylor album,thats if you don't mind,will be much appreciated,Thanks in advance Gezza.:thumbsup:

AlanBeckett 23rd Aug 2010 9:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Hoyland (Post 356445)
I feel the comments that have been made are right to keep the 65B original, so when the valves arrive i will keep them in their boxes at the side of the 65B. I will leave the power cable coiled up as it came from the factory.
Regards Kev.

Sorry, but I can't agree with that - in essence a static display of something that was meant to be used. Plug the valves in and light it up, because that's what it was meant for.
Alan

Kevin Hoyland 24th Aug 2010 12:42 am

Hello Alan.

Thanks for your reply, And i fully understand your way of thinking. But i have made my mind up.

Regards Kev.

Kevin Hoyland 24th Aug 2010 1:07 am

1 Attachment(s)
Hello gezza.

Hope this photo is of help to you.

Regards Kev.

gezza123 24th Aug 2010 11:02 am

1 Attachment(s)
Hello :Trev that great thanks ,I have noticed that yours also has a different orientation of the trimming capacitors on the band switch, as mine is upside down to yours.Very interesting. I have sent a pic.Thank you again Gezza

HI: :wave: Alan,yes I can see where you are comming from and do some times agree ,but there are lots of vintage gear out there only on display and never used.but I think this is rather special piece as its not been already got at and deserves to be preserved for future reference.Regard Gezza