UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sinclair Super IC-12 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28174)

mastermanx2001 18th May 2008 11:11 am

Sinclair Super IC-12

4 Attachment(s)
Trevor recently did a post about the X-10, this reminded me that I bought a Sinclair Super IC when they first came out (whenever that was!). Looking in my loft yesterday, to my suprise, threre it was. Here are some pictures of it. I did not remove all the dust on it, that is vintage too!

dave walsh 18th May 2008 4:10 pm

Re: Sinclair Super IC-12

I've got one of those [circa 1972]. It was one channel of my Heath Robinson stereo record player, the other going through a tape recorder and two Spkrs [salvaged from a defunct PA stack] in home made cabinets. I had a lot of instability problems and wrote indignantly to Sinclair. I got advice back about extra decoupling re the PS and still have the letters. Dave W

KeithsTV 18th May 2008 4:26 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a couple of similar looking ICs but they're not Sinclair. These are Texas instruments SN76013s. Were Sinclair using TI surplus/out of spec ICs?

Might even have the data for them somewhere.

Keith

af024 18th May 2008 4:41 pm

Ah yes,

I had one of these. It formed part of our mackled-up record player (deck clamped in the vice in the shed, arm made from a piece of balser wood etc). I used a car battery to power it.

Regrettably, despite being suitably fused, it went up in smoke not long after I'd put it into service. Less than several days I think.

Sinclair kindly sent me another and that went exactly the same way. I guess it must have been my fault in some way (probably too low impedace load or something).

Shame really, it was quite something in its day.

I'd love to find another.

Regards,

Andy
PS I think I have the original instructions somewhere (wasn't it a long but narrow book)?

mastermanx2001 18th May 2008 5:03 pm

Yes I had instability problems, tried to use it with a valve car radio (Radiomobile) as it did not have a power amp. Never worked properly, made a 1 Watt transistor amp using AC 128s, that worked fine! The Radio was for my 1961 Isetta 300+ which had positive earth.

There is some info here on the IC-12 and other sinclair items.

http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/audio/amps.htm

Somewhere in there it does say that the IC-12 seems very similar to a Texas chip!.

Best regards

ppppenguin 18th May 2008 5:32 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by af024 (Post 180021)
Regrettably, despite being suitably fused, it went up in smoke not long after I'd put it into service. Less than several days I think.

Sinclair kindly sent me another and that went exactly the same way. I guess it must have been my fault in some way (probably too low impedace load or something).

Probably not your fault. It was widely believed that Sinclair used retested reject Texas chips in the IC10 etc so the chances of their products working well and staying that way were unfortunately slim. Some of Sinclair's products were good - think ZX81 - others unfortunately were ill conceived (C5:laugh2:) - and yet more were just plain poorly designed. Sinclair would hardly be unique in that respect but he did gain a lot of publicity.

KeithsTV 18th May 2008 6:14 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Found bits of a copy of the data sheet for the TI SN76013. How does this compare with the IC12 circuit?

Keith

mastermanx2001 18th May 2008 7:24 pm

Sorry think I posted the wrong link earlier, this makes a connection (Ha Ha) between the Sinclair IC-12 and similar Texas chips.

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/paulkemble/sound5d.html

Still, the other one was interesting anyway.

Trevor 18th May 2008 10:32 pm

I think this was known also as a plessey? sl403 d
Rs did a version with a screw stud for fitting to a heat sink
regtards Trev

KeithsTV 18th May 2008 10:46 pm

Wasn't that the IC10?

I built an amplifier with the Plessey amps from a design in Practical Electronics. It worked but eventually one of the amps died and I scrapped it.

Keith

Trevor 18th May 2008 11:45 pm

I think on reflection that you are correct! it may have been the IC10
regards trev

flyingtech55 19th May 2008 12:57 pm

Was the SN76023 not the audio output stage in the old Pye 205 colour set? Have vague memory of that. I was pretty reliable in those sets.

TimR

Trevor 19th May 2008 6:51 pm

I can remember changing quite a few of these as used in the fidelity series of music centres I became quite fast at it as I recall
I think I paid under £2 a unit
regards Trev