UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Imperial mini 78rpm records. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6571)

Heatercathodeshort 21st Dec 2005 10:40 am

Imperial mini 78rpm records.

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,
From a kid I was always fascinated by the gramophone and 78 records and over the years have piled up a collection that would do justice to the BBC..... I have recently unearthed one that has stumped me. Can anyone help with its identification and possible purpose. I know that small records were made for childrens tin gramophones but they were mostly nursery rhymes. This IMPERIAL record is 3 1/2" in diameter and is a pre electric recording. CAROLINA MOON sung by BILLY WALSH is on one side and THE SAILORS HORNPIPE played by a BAND on the other. C4 and C7 are printed just under the asrtists respectively. It plays very well on a wind up. It appears to be a perfect miniature of the normal 10" IMPERIAL record.
Regards. JOHN.

mickjjo 21st Dec 2005 12:15 pm

Re: IMPERIAL mini 78 info?

5 Attachment(s)
Hi John, Well I have not seen that one before,8-) As far as I know the Crystalate Gramophone Company, which owned Imperial, made quite a number of 3 1/2" records for promotional and advertising purposes. I have four examples in my collection, (see attachments). The most common one seems to be the Jack Payne one, issued in 1932 after Jacks "B.B.C. Dance Orchestra" contract ended, and he switched from Columbia to Imperial. I also have one titled "Buy Imperialy", which promotes the label itself, date unknown, but probably 1932. The most unusual is an advertising record for "Robbialac" paint, (who remembers that?). I expect there are many more to look out for but they are hard to find these days.:) .

Regards, Mick. :) .

Heatercathodeshort 21st Dec 2005 3:25 pm

Hello Mick and thanks very much for the information. Yes I do remember Robbialac paint....and Wallpermure [?] and am old enough to have actually USED it! That is very interesting information about the Imperial records.
I have owned the record for many years but didn't know it. I bought an old oak sideboard from an auction in 1975 and it sat happily in my dining room until four years ago when I moved to West Sussex. I removed all the drawers and the record fell out of a back panel in the sideboard! Most odd especially as I collect records. Its nice to know that there are more of them around. They must have been easily lost or used as coasters.
Regards. JOHN.

Drifton 22nd Dec 2005 1:28 pm

I have a couple of 3½" discs too in my collection, one of them is the Hornpipe one that you have John. I always understood that they were for what I think was called a "Mikiphone"; a cheap clockwork, tinplate children’s toy. I understand that they also sold single-play chocolate discs for it also. Now, if you found one of those, that would be rare!

Dave. :)