UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cossor Melody maker about 1930? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34328)

Peter.N. 16th Nov 2008 8:35 pm

Cossor Melody maker about 1930?

This is just a bit of nostalgia really, but I wonder if anyone can identify the radio my grandparents used to have. I have searched the web and can't find a picture of it. I can remember laying upstairs in bed when I was visiting and hearing the early morning news on it, this would have been in the late '40s.

It was a mains radio with two tuning condensers which had to be operated similtainiously, the knobs were about 6" apart and between them there were two escutcheons, one for each capcitor. It had a seperate speaker that stood on top. Can anyone remember one of those?

Peter.N.

FRANK.C 16th Nov 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Cossor Melody maker about 1930?

Hi Peter
There is a Cossor Melody Maker in ‘ Radio Radio’ that fits your description with two escutcheons between the tuning condensers.
Its from 1932 model 334.
But it is a battery set.:shrug:

Frank

Peter.N. 16th Nov 2008 10:10 pm

Hi Frank
Thanks for that, but cant find 'Radio Radio'. Its highly probable that a battery version was brought out first as many homes had no mains then. They only had one power point - in the kitchen, the flex ran along the picture rail into the dining room, everything else was plugged into the light!

Peter.

Heatercathodeshort 16th Nov 2008 11:12 pm

Anything like this one Peter? This is the battery version but they were similar. They work very well. John.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=32179

Ed_Dinning 16th Nov 2008 11:36 pm

Hi Peter, If you are after one they often come up on the auction site for between £20 and £50, as John says, they work well and are easy to fix. If you get one I have the kit builders details. This was originally a big fold out sheet that winds up being about 12 A4 pages.
I think they were only sold as kits, but someone else on the forum may have heard of them being sold assembled.
There were several different versions over the years from 1928 to 1932 as well as mains and battery types.
The Melody Maker name was used on Cossor sets up to the 50's.

Ed

There was also the GEC "Music Magnet" which was a competitive product also in kit form

Peter.N. 17th Nov 2008 12:07 am

Hi John

No its not that one but a similar shape, I would say that its probably the next model on, it has two escutcheons with numbered dials in the centre. I have been unable to find one anywhere on the net. I have a very strong image of it in my mind as it must have been one of the first radios I had anything to do with. I did actually replace it for them in the '50s with a 'modern' Bush, but I dont know what happened to it, there were lots of radios of that age about then and they were not regarded as being worth anything.

Ed.

I wasn't particularly looking for one to own, I would just like to have seen one again. All that stuff was easy to fix, I would far rather work on a pre war radio than a 90s TV!:)

Peter.

Peter.N. 30th Mar 2010 12:16 pm

Mystery Cossor mains radio circa 1930

I did make a post concerning this radio sometime ago but have been able to find no information about it whatsoever or even a picture.

It belonged to my grandparents, it was mains powered and had a wooden cabinet but with a seperate speaker, it had two tuning controls in the centre of the front panel with an escutcheon for each, you had to tune them similtainiously, presumably one was RF and the other detector, unless it was a superhet.

I replaced it with a 'modern' Bush in the '50s or '60s which would also now be vintage but I don't know what happened to it. There were so many sets of that vintage about then that it was no doubt thrown out. Does it ring a bell with anyone?

Peter

Hoveradio 30th Mar 2010 12:30 pm

Re: Mystery Cossor mains radio circa 1930

Hi,At a guess I would say that it is the Melody Maker model 334.A battery TRF from 1932.It is shown in Radio Radio.I have the version 335 which has the inbuilt speaker.
Regards John.

Mr Moose 30th Mar 2010 9:17 pm

Hello,
There is a picture of the battery version the Cossor 334 here :- http://www.classaxe.com/wireless/dat...uk_cos_334.jpg
There was also a mains version in the same cabinet, the Cossor 336, which would be the one you would have had if it is the right radio. (and as John says there was a version with a built in speaker, the battery version was the Cossor 335 and the mains version the Cossor 337.)
Yours, Richard

Peter.N. 30th Mar 2010 10:51 pm

That's the one!:) Thank you Richard, a real blast from the past I havn't seen one for at least 50 years, never thought I would see one again as I have been looking for ages and couldn't find it.

Thank you all for your input.

Peter