UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Eiki NT1 16mm optical sound projector (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30925)

Mike-repairman 3rd Aug 2008 7:28 pm

Eiki NT1 16mm optical sound projector

Hi, I have a couple of B&H projectors that I have restored but just picked up an Eiki NT1 optical sound 16mm projector.

With a little oil here and there it is now in working order, and I managed to find the pdf file of the user guide on the web as well.

However hard as I try (Googling) I cannot find any info as to the date of this unit.

They are apparently still hired out for functions so I don't think they are that old.

I wonder if anyone out there knows when they were first produced and if they are still being made.

Thanks,

Mike.

Mike-repairman 5th Aug 2008 9:33 am

Re: Eiki NT1 16mm optical sound projector

Managed to find a date code ? 83 | 21 on the motor capacitor so for the time being assume it is around that date; unless anyone knows differently.
Actually looks a lot younger though.
Very heavy; built like a battleship.
Pity they don't still build things like that these days. :(

dseymo1 5th Aug 2008 10:47 am

There a bit of information here.
I hadn't realised that Eiki bought out B&H!

raditechman 5th Aug 2008 10:48 am

Hello Mike,

A source for loads of film projector manuals is here:

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=2

and your particular model/series in their 16mm manual selection is I think here,
(you can download the pdf file)

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/w...483&category=2

John

Mike-repairman 5th Aug 2008 3:53 pm

Thanks dseymo1, I hadn't realised they had bought out B&H either.

John, yes I got the User guide but hadn't seen the Service Manual link.
Very useful doc in case something goes wrong. :)

Eiki are built much simpler than the earlier B&H models, which I know my way round pretty well. B&H have a nylon worm gear located in the middle of the guts of the machine, which my friend who was area repair engineer for B&H in the past says takes him at least 3 hours to replace (all day for a beginner!) as you virtually have to strip down the whole mechanism to get to it.
If you ever see a second hand one for sale always check the knob at the back of the machine (which turns the main spindle and worm gear) if it feels clunky or tight walk away quickly. ;)

Mike.

Mike-repairman 5th Aug 2008 4:06 pm

Apparently Eiki bought out B&H in the Mid Eighties which would tie in with the 1983 date code I have.

Really nice machine but about 5dB noisier than earlier B&H models in tests I did last night. Will try some sound deadening material inside the case; my mate in the garage is finding me some that they use inside car panels for the same job.

villelaustela 5th Aug 2008 7:39 pm

I have repaired two of these EIKI's 16mm projectors. My school had two of them and I took them home and replaced the belts (all snapped and sticky, new ones from eBay). The school did not need both so I got the other one. They are both basically the same version (can't remember the type. The main differences were about the sound, some models play both optical and magnetic soundtracks and the most pro-ones also give you the option to record on the mag. track) but with some differences.

The older one has two on-off switches for motor and lamp (lamp can't be switched on before the motor) and one for reverse (switching from play to reverse the lamp goes dark and the engine slows down and starts to playback in reverse). The newer projector has a big selector knob for driving reverse and normal and threading. Also it has two play settings, low and high luminosity. (The older deck has a switch for that inside the case).

Also I noted that the older one was a lot noisier ("harder noise") as the newer one was more like humming.

I can't remember the date for these but I found a list of projector reservations and these had been in active use in 85-92.

These are really good projectors and they are indeed built like tanks, and they do deliver a very good performance once you learn how to thread the film correctly and have cleaned the film path.

villelaustela 5th Aug 2008 7:45 pm

3 Attachment(s)
I found some pictures of the older one I mentioned. It's so cute in it's blue leather case (the empty reel and the speaker cable have a pocket on the rear).

8-)

Mike-repairman 5th Aug 2008 10:25 pm

Hi villelaustela,

The picture of the one above looks like a much earlier model to mine.
The NT range is as follows...
NT1 is optical sound, NT2 is optical and magnetic, and NT3 is optical, magnetic with record function. The NT3 would be highly desirable but guess there were not that many made compared to the standard NT1.

I have no problem with the belts; they have obviously been replaced and there were stickers on the projector from a servicing company; I guess they were used perhaps by a school who had them looked after. Nice clear steady picture. :)

Did a bit of lubrication as per the Service Manual and knocked off another dB of operating noise.
Still a bit noisier than the B&H ones but not that noticeable.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...man77/NT1s.jpg

Mike.

Nickthedentist 5th Aug 2008 10:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike-repairman (Post 193876)

Ah, that's interesting.

Was "Elf" one of their brand names, or just a model designation?

My ILEA (London) primary school had an "Elf" projector in the early 1980s. The speaker was in the lid which was placed on the stage under the screen. It replaced an older B&H whose sound had been much better. "Happy" memories of sitting cross-legged on the floor in the darkened hall watching slightly scary eductaional films on a wednesday morning after assembly :-/

Nick.

Mike-repairman 5th Aug 2008 10:59 pm

Hi Nick,
Elf was just a model range I think; but they were listed and known as Eiki NT1 etc.
Eiki means projector in Japanese by the way.

I can remember watching those educational films at school in the early 50's; most were 'interesting' themes like how gas was made etc. Still have a couple of them here; very dated and amusing. :-D

Mike.

dseymo1 6th Aug 2008 6:57 am

It used to be part of my job to show those educational films many years ago.
In addition to various B&Hs, we had an Elf, which always struck me as more solid, reliable and generally 'professional', and I'd choose it over the B&Hs whenever possible. IIRC, sound quality was a lot better, too.

Mike-repairman 6th Aug 2008 8:35 am

Yes it does look better and more simply built than the B&H's. Although the later ones all have transistor amplifiers. I have an old B&H 642 with a valve amp which does sound nice (loves valve amp sound but you have to live with the hum) which is sound/silent switchable from outside. Hardly any later ones have the silent speed facility.

Mike-repairman 8th Aug 2008 3:57 pm

Discovered it is a Sound /Silent model; you just swap belt pulleys in the back (thought it was for 60/50Hz but mistaken) but as it's only got a 2 blade shutter there quite a lot of flicker on silent mode. They actually make a 5 blade shutter for Eikis with just thin open slits for copying on to a camcorder without flicker, but it cuts down the overall light by a lot.