UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   BSR Tape deck (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64687)

Helfer66 25th Jan 2011 11:36 pm

BSR Tape deck

I Have a Reel to Reel tape recorder Made by BSR I am asking if any one knows what would be the best way to transfer quite a few tapes to a CD recording unit
It has positions marked on the rear panel marked Speaker, Radiograme, and Record. Can any one please advise me. thank you.

Paulus.d 26th Jan 2011 10:24 am

Re: BSR Tape deck

My usual method is to connect the EXT.Speaker to the Line in of the Recording equipment, PC, Minidisk or whatever...

You have to be quite careful with the input volume level so not to overload the recorder, so start with it on minimum and turn up to find the best level.

Regards Paul

Andrew2 26th Jan 2011 11:00 am

Helfer, it may be better to try the 'Radiogram' socket first. I'm not sure if it's an input or an output, but if it is an output the level may be more suitable than the LS out. There tends to be quite a lot of hum and noise on the LS out.

AndiiT 26th Jan 2011 11:13 am

Hi,
Any chance of a picture of your recorder?, As has been mentioned before in these forums, a picture speaks a thousand words.

BSR were the makers/suppliers of the mechanisms for many different tape recorder manufacturers, that said I do have a BSR branded machine which is a Fidelity clone.
I would guess that the Radiogram socket is an input only route so the Loudspeaker socket may be your only option of an output suitable for feeding into the input of your CD recorder (or alternatively the audio line card of a PC)

If you are handy with a soldering iron and capable of dismantling your machine, a more suitable signal will be found across the outer two connections of the Volume/Recording level control.

If you do have to use the Speaker output it may be wise to attenuate the output using a resistor network similar to the one shown on this page before feeding the signal in to the CD recorder.

Regards
Andrew

allander 23rd Jun 2012 10:55 am

:wave:BSR TD10 Service Manual
Just a note for anyone seeking a copy of the 'service manual' of the TD10 3 speed BSR tape deck I have a copy which I've scanned to 9 .jpgs not having a clue about creating a .pdf copy - if anyone can convert it (or rather the .jpgs) to .pdf I can send the images to them and it might be useful for the group - one thing it doesn't seem to give info about is belt sizes and how to replace them (I think the sizes are 107mm X 2.4 round capstan and 90mm X 1 round counter). Regards Rog.

Refugee 23rd Jun 2012 3:04 pm

Radio gram sounds to me like a connector that is linked to a Hi Fi unit for both record and play.
A cable will be required that can be purchased. Make sure it has the right connectors at the other end.

david freeman 23rd Jun 2012 10:52 pm

The radio/gram socket on most BSR deck recorders is an input socket. If your machine has a socket marked 'mon' or monitor, then this can be used as a line output to feed a line input on recording equipment or PC. This should give better results than using the Ext LS socket.
As an example, I have connected a Fidelity Playmaster this way to a hifi amp and speakers with surprisingly good results.

AndiiT 23rd Jun 2012 11:02 pm

Hi,
If the BSR is a Model 222 or 224 this is basically a clone of the Fidelity Argyll minor series of recorders and will not have the monitor output socket fitted that the Playmaster has, just Mic input, Radio/Gram input and Ext L/S output sockets.

Andrew