UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Akai 4000DS Mk2 (II) UK Only Version Info Please (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53683)

camtechman 3rd May 2010 9:50 am

Akai 4000DS Mk2 (II) UK Only Version Info Please

Akai produced a version for the UK market (marked BSI on their circuit diagram) of the 4000DS Mk2. This is identifiable by it being 240VAC/50Hz only (has no adjustable mains options/external fuse nor 50/60Hz mechanical or electronic selectors)

The other difference with the UK only version is the set-up of the AUTO SHUT-OFF mech/function, in that there is no option to select ON/SHUT-OFF from the (mains) POWER switch, as with other versions of the MK2.

Instead the POWER switch only functions as an ON-OFF switch, and when set to ON, the electronics of the machine comes on (indicated by the VU meter lamps lighting) but the motor will not start & consequently nor will the FWD/RWD/F.FWD operate unless the tape SHUT-OFF lever is tensioned at all times by the tape being in place.

This set up does give rise to a 'problem':

1) If you don't want the AUTO SHUT-OFF Function, then you can't operate the machine's drive.

OK now, to my question/request:

As I'm going to hand this machine onto my 15 year old Nephew and I want to make sure he has reference to this particular 'peculiar' set-up and I don't have the User Manual for this UK version, does anyone have a User Manual that they would be willing to scan the section on setting up this function and who would be willing to email me that section?

Many thanks.

dave walsh 3rd May 2010 11:27 am

Re: Akai 4000DS Mk2 (II) UK Only Version Info Please

Interesting, I've never heard of this variation. Had to check my DB [right next to me] to work out what you are saying:dunce:. I notice [for the first time] that mine has a a 50/60 mechanical setting on the front AND a switch for same on the back-a simplification of the build? It does have the mains ON/SHUT OFF switch as you say and I do recall being slightly intrigued by this [circa 1970] until I realised auto shut off might be usefull to avoid the end of reel whipping round and round if I wasn't there at that point! [used to do two hours at a time recording off the radio while at the pub].

Can't quite see what the "problem" is that you mention though? Does the manual have some extra info for useage? Would your nephew not understand? On the DB here [unlike your machine] both the deck and the electronics WILL operate in the ON position. SHUT-OFF being an additional lever feature.

However, imagining that my deck ONLY functions in the SHUT-OFF position [for example] then you need the tape lever tensioned up sending power to the deck AND the electronics-different but very similar to yours. Can't quite see how it would be such a problem to operate it in this way, ie working with a tape loaded?

So my questions are. What obvious factor am I missing? If it's such a difficulty is there no way of hard wiring around it? Sorry to be so long winded but it's hard to keep this one short-I'm confusing myself;).
No doubt it's something very obvious. Dave W

camtechman 3rd May 2010 12:08 pm

Hi Dave,

For info, besides this machine having external indications that it's a UK version the internal chassis is stamped & labelled "UK" in bright orange print.

Being it would be my Nephew's first ever tape recorder, I thought it would be nice & safer if he had the full instructions about it's operation.

Bearing in mind even I forgot about the motor not switching on with the UK version until the Shut-Off lever was under tension, as I hadn't used it for some time and it took me about half an hour to remember. LOL.

It can be rewired but it would require some circuit modifications as, looking at the circuit diagram - to meet the BSI regulations at the time, the motor circuit will require additional components.

Moreover, I'd prefer it to remain as original for collectable value & my Nephew is an up & coming collector already.

I suppose, the easiest way is for me to type up the particular instuctions for this part of the operation and add it to the spare manual I have for a MK2 "World Wide" version (100-240V 50/60Hz)

In the inside cover of User Manual for the World Wide version I have, it does make mention to certain other variants: CEE,CSA,UL & LA not having a Voltage Selector & Cycle Conversion switches but this was before the UK (BSI) version was introduced with the different Shut-Off system.

Just to add, I can obtain a UK User Manual from the US but it's far too expensive.

Cheers for now.

Roger13 3rd May 2010 3:08 pm

Hi.

I've had a look around and my own 4000DS user manual (pdf) makes no mention at all of a 50Hz only version. Neither can I find anything different on the web. However, a service manual in pdf is available here: http://www.audiocircuit.com/index.ph...=4000-DS%20Mk2 which does mention EEC models (50Hz), but whether it'll be any use to you remains to be seen.

Good luck,

Roger. :beer:

camtechman 3rd May 2010 8:41 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Roger,

It would appear that there wasn't a 240v/50hz version of the 4000DS but, as the details above (and pics below) there was for the 4000DS MK2.

The 1st pic is of my 'universal' Akai 4000DS MK2 (100-240V & 50/60Hz).
the red circles show the 50/60Hz Selector Shaft and the Power Switch with the Shut-Off position.

The 2nd pic is of the UK 240/50Hz version without 50/60Hz Selector Shaft and Power Switch with no Shut-Off position.

3rd pic is a close up of MK11 UK Power switch
4th pic is of Power label on rear
5th pic is of label on internal chassis

On follow up post will be diagrams of various power supplies

camtechman 3rd May 2010 8:45 pm

4 Attachment(s)
OK Circuits of various voltage/cycle/swithing/country options:

1st: 'Universal' 100-240v with 50/60Hz switching and Power switch with Shut-Off position
2nd: CSA Version
3rd: Japan Version
4th: CEE/VDE/UK(BSI) Version

dave walsh 3rd May 2010 9:20 pm

Thanks for photos. Fascinating how they seemed to have got so much out of a basic design. Same power switch position on mine [different labels/function though]. All the real differences [with the DB] are confined to the bottom [meter] strip ie Dolby on the left and the rotary controls together on the right of the meters! A clever basic layout that lent itself to variation in production [like the mechanics]. Dave.

PS Does yours have an additional small slide switch 50-60 Hz on the back [above the fuse]?

Michael Maurice 3rd May 2010 10:15 pm

Very interesting, I've never come across this version.

As Dave has said, it stops tape flapping about after the tape has come to an end but it has one drawback and that is if you leave it in play/rec then it could cause an indent in the pinch roller if left for too long.

camtechman 4th May 2010 9:05 am

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Dave,

Hi Dave,

Re: "PS Does yours have an additional small slide switch 50-60 Hz on the back [above the fuse]?"

On the UK(BSI) version, there is no external mains fuse unit, nor a 50/60Hz switch on the rear mains input panel, just a 3 core mains cable going in.

I've recently spoken to an Ebay seller in Germany who was auctioning an Akai 4000DS MK2 with the specs of the 'Universal/World Wide' version (i.e. 100-240V 50/60Hz) when in fact the picture on his auction clearly showed it without the 50/60Hz Selector Shaft on the front panel.

After asking him for further details, it turned out to be a fixed input voltage of 230V AC 50Hz with no fuse nor 50/60Hz switch on the rear mains input panel.

So it turns out that Akai also made a fixed voltage/cycle version for Germany as well, the VDE version. (VDE being the German Association for Electrical, Electronic and Information Technologies: Verband der Elektrotechnik).

See thumbnails for photos of rear mains panel on both my 'Universal' & my UK(BSI) versions:

camtechman 4th May 2010 9:09 am

P.S.

I'm now having seconds thoughts about giving it to my Nephew.

After all, I'm a Collector and should keep it, so that I have two versions and I'm now of a mind the acquire a VDE, CSA & Japanese versions.

Oh dear, this hobby is a nightmare! LOL.

Michael Maurice 4th May 2010 9:13 am

Looking at the diagrams and the pictures, it would appear that there is a mains fuse, but it's internal, there is one type of mains transformer which is hard wired for either 220V or 240V.

Either way, it shouldn't affect the operation of the machine except that you can't bypass the auto shut off.

camtechman 4th May 2010 9:51 am

Michael,

"Either way, it shouldn't affect the operation of the machine except that you can't bypass the auto shut off."

You got it in a nut shell!

camtechman 4th May 2010 9:58 am

Michael,

I forgot to add: "it would appear that there is a mains fuse, but it's internal"

There is indeed and it's an inline one housed in the type of inline fuse holder one used to find fitted to car radio wiring: White Nylon with a 1¼ x ¼" Glass Fuse.

julie_m 4th May 2010 10:47 am

FWIW, my own 4000DS/II is a UK version; but the instruction manual I received with it refers to the international version. Until I managed to obtain a schematic, I always wondered why it didn't work quite like the manual said it should!

My guess is, it was rewired because the tension switch didn't meet regulations in force in Germany and the UK for a main switch. And both those countries have single-standard mains (Japan has a mix of 50 and 60 Hz), so no need for the frequency options.

camtechman 4th May 2010 11:26 am

AJS,

Thanks for that info, at first I thought I was alone.

I've emailed the guy in America who's listed the UK Version of the user manual to confirm that it is and not the international version. I'm awaiting a reply.

camtechman 15th May 2010 12:23 pm

UPDATE:

Just won a UK/250V version User Manual on an auction website. Once received, I'll provide info on here.

Stone Free 16th May 2010 8:00 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Interesting thread...

One of my 4000's (a DB version) has two 50/60 Hz selector shafts, one in the front panel, the other in the back above the voltage selector/fuse compartment. This version appears to be the universal 100-240V selectable voltages, and comes with the shut off position feature on the mains switch. I never knew about a version, mainly the "newer" DSMKII models, without the shut off pos. since the very older 3000 and 4000 models already have this feature (Pics are small, but if you enlarge them you may see the words "shut off power" below the mains switches). The 3000and 4000 models also featured the 100-240V universal voltage versions.

dave walsh 16th May 2010 8:07 pm

Hi, yes that's what I meant [post 2* 7*]. I'd wondered if the one at the back was electrical and done separately to keep costs down in manufacture?
Dave Walsh

camtechman 16th May 2010 9:30 pm

Hi,

If you take a look at my post #6 and click on the first image, this is the power diagram for the 'universal' model and in the diagram you will see the Cycle Conversion switch.

This switch being fitted on the rear power input panel.

Besides having this electrical switch, they also have the 50/60 c/s mechanical shaft on the front panel of the machine, this shaft moves the main drive belt to a different diameter pully on the main flywheel.

Stone Free 16th May 2010 9:46 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by camtechman (Post 330762)
Besides having this electrical switch, they also have the 50/60 c/s mechanical shaft on the front panel of the machine, this shaft moves the main drive belt to a different diameter pully on the main flywheel.

That's correct:thumbsup:, I forgot that. Yep, the front shaft is a mechanical adjustment.

Gustavo