UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Components and Circuits (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Norbit logic data wanted (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55246)

Lucien Nunes 13th Jun 2010 11:00 am

Norbit logic data wanted

Does anyone have datasheets or application notes for Philips / Mullard Norbit 60 and 90-series ICs from the late 60's or early 70's? I have references to them in catalogues, and some pinouts, but no electrical data. Types include 2NOR60, 4NOR60, 2SF60, TU60, 2IA60, 2LPA60, PS90 and FF90.

Thanks in advance
Lucien

McMurdo 13th Jun 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Norbit logic data wanted

I could've helped you about 5 years ago, I used to work for a company who had the full details of them plus an almost endless supply of the giant beasts. Unfortunately the modules were all skipped as no-one considered them remotely useful, we had stocked them as they were used in the local Stoke Michelin Tyre plant's automated machinery.

Ed_Dinning 13th Jun 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Lucien, I used them years ago in works projects and may have some app notes for them, I'll be going away soon so sent me a reminder in about 4 weeks and I'll see if I can find them.

Ed

Red to black 13th Jun 2010 7:21 pm

Hi,

As far as I am aware these were "industrial" devices and ran on a supply voltage of 24 Volts ( up to 30V Max). This is Industry standard as in later plc's, field bus and mod bus runs on this supply voltage as well.
Just out of interest, field bus and mod bus, are very similar to I2C, but with 24 volt logic levels, and a lot more robust WRT inter-connection lengths (measured in 10's of metre's!).

Hope this is of some use to you.
Cheers,
Baz.

Lucien Nunes 13th Jun 2010 9:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurdo (Post 337883)
the modules were all skipped as no-one considered them remotely useful

This is why I sometimes call Electrokinetica 'The home of missing links' as we try to collect all the bits and bobs that were part of the fabric of vintage electronic and electrical engineering that weren't glamorous enough to warrant a place on somebody's sideboard.

I have quite a few Norbit ICs here, hopefully we'll have a varied display of equipment that relied on early industrial electronics of this ilk. Examples are hard to find, compared to radios & TVs. When I get some time I might attempt to section a used / duff Norbit on the milling machine. I bet nobody has seen inside one for a few decades.

Lucien

PS Will take you up on that Ed, Thanks.

Electrical 17th Jun 2010 8:27 am

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Lucien
I have found a copy of the “Mullard Norbit 2 and 61 Series Solid State Control Elements” Data sheets March 1974. It has over one hundred pages, sixty on the Norbit 2 series and forty on the 61 series and accessories, please see attached jpeg of the front cover.
I am not sure if you have already obtained the information from Ed, but I can scan the book, or the relevant pages for you if you wish although it may take a while.
Regards Stan.

Lucien Nunes 19th Jun 2010 11:17 pm

Stan - thanks for your offer, I'm waiting on a possible datasheet set to acquire, as it would be easier to got hold of an original than to put you to the trouble of copying etc. If it doesn't materialise I'll let you know.

Cheers
Lucien

Electrical 20th Jun 2010 9:43 pm

Hello Lucien
I have already scanned the book at 300 dpi, cleaned the images and converted the sections into three PDF files, however the Norbit series 2 file is too big to post on the forum, it is 3970kB the other files are 1775kB and 841kB. If you send me an email address I will forward them to you. If you do not require the files let me know and I will delete them.
Regards Stan.

Lucien Nunes 20th Jun 2010 11:27 pm

Wow, thanks Stan, you have a PM.

kchamba 7th Oct 2011 9:45 am

Hi valveman49,

Can you email me the norbit logic pdf files please. The 2 series and the 61 series.

Thanks.

Station X 7th Oct 2011 10:08 am

Hello kchamba and welcome to the forums.

Now that you have a post approved you will be able to contact valveman49 directly by clicking on his username to the left of his posts.

Electrical 7th Oct 2011 11:31 am

5 Attachment(s)
Hello Kchamba
I have cut the Norbit PDF up into smaller segments so that I can post the information on the forum. Please find attached five PDF attachments, which make up the data on the Norbit 2 series and 61 series and accessories.
I hope the moderators do not mind posting all this information on the forum, as it may be useful to other forum members.
Regards Stan

PaulM 7th Oct 2011 11:59 am

Thanks for posting this. I'd been looking out for this data for a while. Just idle curiosity as I don't have any gear that uses them, but I do have some actual devices. DIP on steroids!

I'd heard about the incredible noise immunity and why it was such useful stuff in certain applications. I'll have a read to get the full story . . .

Cheers,

Paul M

ppppenguin 7th Oct 2011 1:23 pm

I have a few lurking somewhere too. The sort of chip you might see in your nightmares8-o

The BBC used Norbit to automate the small Band I CG1 transmitters used at some relay stations. A Norbit based controller was found in the CG1 at Dulwich that is now in the hands of the BHTG.