UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Schlumberger Solartron 7150 IEC inlet and filter. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82160)

dave cox 5th Apr 2012 9:26 pm

Schlumberger Solartron 7150 IEC inlet and filter.

The inlet filter caps (i assume) on my 7150 have let the magic smoke out in a fairly spectacular fashion 8-o
This is an all in one snap in unit containing IEC connector, voltage switching and 2 fuses in quite a tight space. Made by schaffner, but if there was a part number it was burnt off.

Has anyone had to fix one of these before?
I guess a replacement is being rather hopeful.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Oldtestgear 5th Apr 2012 10:11 pm

Re: Schlumberger Solartron 7150 IEC inlet & filter

David Partridge ( a member of this forum) has a few of these available. Well worth sending him a PM to check price etc.

HTH

Phil

dave cox 5th Apr 2012 10:36 pm

:thumbsup:

PETERg0rsq 6th Apr 2012 12:44 am

Dave

Just be aware that there are at least two versions of this mains input/selector/switch assembly (well my two 7150's were different), and i think it depends on which input transformer is fitted!

You may need to work out which winding is which by measuring the primary resistances, and meter out the switch contacts, actuated by a tumbler cam, to work out the correct connections.

One of mine had damaged contacts, so I bypassed the voltage selector completely and wired for 240V permanently.

regards
Peter

The Gricer 8th Apr 2012 8:35 pm

The original type fitted to 7150/7150/7150+/7063, amongst other Solartron stuff, was a Schaffner FN372-2-21. They are still available from various sources. We have replaced many of these over the years, (I have worked for Solartron since 1968). They seem to have a nasty habit of going up in a disgustingly smelly puff of smoke and leaking a sticky brown gunge inside the unit. I don't know whether Schaffner modified the design but later ones don't seem so prone to fail.
Any units with a different type filter have probably been changed by the user after failing in this way. I don't remember there being different mains transformers.

karesz* 9th Apr 2012 2:07 am

Hallo Dave,
you can have it (http://www.schaffner.com/) from some GB-sources too:
http://octopart.com/partsearch#searc...ner+FN372-2-21
K.

PETERg0rsq 9th Apr 2012 10:40 am

Also thanks for the information, I was looking for a supplier of the power connections, as one of mine had damaged leaf contacts below the tumbler, and I have linked the voltage selector out.

Just for information, and may be as a result of someone replacing one in the past, I have two 7150's, one is badged Enertec (french) and the other Solartron.

The input connectors are slightly different (they look identical), as the tumblers are configured differently (not interchangeable, though they would fit), with different voltage markings.

In addition the wiring to the two transformers are not identical, with different colour coding, and different resistance measurements.

I think the Enertec one had more wires, but if I recall correctly this was due to the interrnal windings being four independent windings, and no internal tappings. I would need to open it to check.

The wiring configuration between the two connectors was definately different, even thought the connectors looked identical externaly!

Regards,

Peter
G0RSQ

dinkydi 9th Apr 2012 12:12 pm

3 Attachment(s)
In my experience restoring/repairing test equipment, all Schaffner IEC line filters that are 15 or 20 years old have very poor reliability (even if they are "new old stock"). With some equipment it seems that all the Schaffner filters are failing. More comprehensive testing of the few units that appear to have survived shows these are actually also faulty.

Some Schaffner filters fail by exploding, others are less dramatic, and still others may appear fine but have actually failed. As mentioned they usually produce smoke, leak brown gunge, and emit a disgusting odour that lingers for days.

While the Schaffner filters in the photographs below are not the type discussed in this thread, the results of the failure are nevertheless typical. One hopes that with new stock the problems of Schaffner filters have been rectified. However, with knowledge of their history, and without any technical reassurance, I would not recommend their purchase.

Peter

The Gricer 10th Apr 2012 11:16 am

We have found these filter failures more common in instruments that have been switched off for extended periods or that have been previously running on 115V. On quite a few occasions we have had older units back for routine calibration from 115V areas and the filters have failed within minutes of connecting to 240V. Presumably the caps deteriorate but don't actually fail in a way you'd notice. Then having 240 volts across them finishes them off.

It was interesting to see Peter's pictures showing other affected Schaffner filters. Most Solartron equipment (including current production) use Schaffner EMI filters and failure in older equipment is indeed not limited to the FN372-2-21.

For anyone interested a pdf datasheet for the filter can be found here:-
http://www.schaffner.com/en/products...ry-module.html

dave cox 10th Apr 2012 12:25 pm

Many thanks to all posters.

Interstingly, I had to replace the line filter in my Solartron 7065 too, that went with a pop and smoke, although nowhere near as bad as this one which took out a 13A fuse in no uncertain terms. To be fair to the manufacturer the switching PSU in the 7065 still works perfectly after 30+ years - most switchers seem to struggle to last 1/10th of that.

It seems this filter IS still manufactured and available although at ~ £30 (including shipping) its too expensive to repair an instrument with a broken LCD and battered case (I have a use for it on GPIB so the lack of display won't matter). I've opted for a cheaper filter / fuse unit (from RS) that I will 'bodge' to fit and wire for 240v only.

Many thanks, dave

dinkydi 10th Apr 2012 1:02 pm

Schaffner IEC line filters were used on HP test equipment and I am aware that vendors selling substantial quantities of "new old stock" HP gear find that the Schaffner filters invariably fail in the first week of operation after coming out of storage.

My personal experience with the filters is only in Australia where the line voltage is 240 to 250V. However, I have been told that Schaffner filter failure is just as common in the USA with its 110V.

It appears that the failure mode is not at all related to the filter's operational hours.

Peter

dave cox 10th Apr 2012 2:17 pm

I attacked the failed unit and it appears to be potted with something 'softish' - rather like the consistancy of hardened putty (for window glass). Proably a polymer resin and I would bet that it is this substance than makes all the smoke.

The amount of blackening inside the instrument extends 3 to 5cm in all directions and is an absolute :censored: to remove, it resists water, alcohol and propanone (acetone) equally. Water, cotton buds and a lot of scrubbing get if off eventually.

dave

Oldtestgear 12th Apr 2012 3:02 pm

I have just had two of these filters blow up within the space of 24 hours. I have another couple of 715* meters left - I wonder if these will also let go of the magic smoke next time I switch the meter on?

Nice meters but certainly not worth the cost of new filters. An IEC inlet and a blanking plate is looking like a sensible option for my own use, once I have cleared the stink from my workshop.
Phil

dave cox 13th Apr 2012 9:56 am

Oh, bad luck Phil.

I used a filter / IEC / fuse unit from RS, if I recall, I paid about £10.
It's snap fit (after a few strokes with a file) and looks good quality.

I'll dig the part No out when I get home.

dc

GrimJosef 13th Apr 2012 10:28 am

I'd be interested to know the RS part number too please.

Cheers,

GJ

dave cox 13th Apr 2012 7:05 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Part No's are RS 500-6075 and 500-6211 (the fuse carrier, you need both).

You can admire my handy work below :-D

dc

The Gricer 14th Apr 2012 8:17 am

For comparison purposes the RS number for the "real thing" is 465-5193, although at £25 it is over twice the price of Dave's solution.

GrimJosef 14th Apr 2012 10:01 am

The RS part - Schaffner FN372-2-21 - is a little over £20 from Mouser in the UK and a little over £15 in the USA http://www.onlinecomponents.com/scha...tml?p=12332112. However the US seller has a $100 international minimum order so you'd need to find someone in the US who was prepared to buy it for you.

Cheers,

GJ

dave cox 21st Apr 2012 2:38 pm

Sadly, this instrument now seems to be suffering from 'bit rot' as the data coming out the IEEE port seems sort of consistently garbled. For example a working instrument might return "0.000010 V DC" but this instrument might return "2134.334 !V DC". All ranges are mangled in a similar way (the exclaimation mark rather than space, the decimal point in the wrong place and wildly fluctuating readings). :shrug:

I will swap the EPROM with my working instrument, assuming they have the same hardware.

dc

dave cox 21st Apr 2012 3:14 pm

OK, its not the EPROM.

I should have read the manual (RTFM), the exclaimation mark indicates an overload, thus causing the autoranging to max-out causing the decimal point to move. I likely have a problem in the analogue side or D/A convertor.

dc