UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Philips PM5509 TV Pattern Generators (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82131)

Philips210 5th Apr 2012 10:06 am

Philips PM5509 TV Pattern Generators

Hi there.

Over the years I have acquired two Philips PM5509 TV pattern generators and have finally got around to looking at them.
I noticed slight differences in the model numbers as follows:

PM5509G/05 and
PM5509G/02

I always thought the /05 suffix meant that the equipment was intended for the UK market as per Philips TV model numbers.
As for the /02 suffix, I am unsure about this. ISTR in Television magazine many years ago, there was mention of the suffix code for each country.

Incidentally, does anyone know where I might be able to obtain a circuit diagram or better still, a service manual at reasonable cost?

Regards
Symon

Philips210 6th Apr 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Philips PM5509 TV Pattern Generators

Hi

I think I may have been barking up the wrong tree with regard to the suffix numbers to the model number.
I also own a Philips PM5508 TV pattern generator and it would appear the letter after the model number determines what system or systems the generator is intended for. In the PM5506 service manual one example is given as follows:

PM5506B which corresponds to CCIR system I ie for UK 6MHz vision/sound spacing.
So the suffix numbers after this letter must be a production version representing any modifications.

Going back to my PM5509G pattern generators, the letter G must be for System I as these were, I assume, used in the UK. If I had access to the service information then I would be able to confirm this. There are certainly differences between my two PM5509s mainly in the power supply section.

Regards
Symon

Chaparal 8th Apr 2012 8:39 pm

Symon,

the 5509-G stand for CCIR System G, 5.5 MHz

the 5509-I stand for CCIR System I, 6 MHz

the 5509-M stand for RTMA System M, 4.5 MHz

Peter

AndrewM 8th Apr 2012 11:46 pm

With Philips test equipment the /00 number represents the revision version of the unit. In the case of your PM5509's, one is a revision 2 and the other a revision 5.
There appears to have been a large number of changes internally as the revisions occurred and documentation for these revisions is not easy to find.

Philips210 9th Apr 2012 10:09 am

Hi Peter and Andrew.

Thank you for your replies, that helps to clear the doubt I had regarding the model numbering system.

As an aside to my PM5509Gs, I have just got my older PM5508 working and find the build quality better than the PM5509.
What I like about the PM5508 is the all-transistor circuitry which makes it far more likely to effect a repair. Having said that there is a small scattering of germanium transistors and quite a few germanium diodes.

The mechanical VHF and UHF modulators are also quite robust and only needed light lubrication.

The repairs consisted of replacing all the electrolytic capacitors (total of 12) located on the three hinge out panels. The two chassis mounted power supply electrolytics were reformed without problems.

I had to replace GR102, BZY59 a 6.2V zener diode on the small power supply sub panel as the +6V rail was slightly low. The UHF modulator scale bulb (6V 0.1A MES) needed replacement. The only other item that was replaced was the mains IEC connector as it had disintegrated. Fortunately, the replacement lined up exactly with the mounting holes in the chassis.
All in all a very useful pattern generator.

I must get back to my PM5509Gs and will persevere without the service information.

Regards
Symon.