UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Valve amplifier identification (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76624)

vinnyelectronic 21st Nov 2011 10:47 am

Valve amplifier identification

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Can anybody identify this valve amp for me please? The attached pre-amp is Leak but I'm really not sure on the power amp. Any comments / info welcome, Vince

G8HQP Dave 21st Nov 2011 11:49 am

Re: Valve amplifier identification

It doesn't correspond to any of the power amps mentioned in Stephen Spicer's book on Leak, yet it could easily be a cousin. Maybe intended for export?

Peter.N. 21st Nov 2011 1:26 pm

It's certainly in the style and period of Leak/Quad, I used to sell those new! The 110v out seems a bit unusual, I wonder if it was to drive a turntable.

Peter

julie_m 21st Nov 2011 1:44 pm

The supply voltage selector goes from 90 to 120, so I would suspect that it's a 110V amplifier.

vinnyelectronic 21st Nov 2011 5:00 pm

Guys, many thanks for your comments, I'm checking US audio sites now for the answers. The format for me looks Quad, but the configuration looks wrong. I've also seen some Heathkit parts looking similar also.

MrElectronicman 21st Nov 2011 6:24 pm

It looks like the Leak style, the 110V out is a US type socket that I have on my Leak Stereo 30 to feed both a turntable and tuner.

As AJS stated, the voltage selector is for 110 Volts so I would not plug it in to 240V mains

Tractorfan 21st Nov 2011 7:03 pm

Hi,
If it was an export model, I thought it might have sported a hard wired mains cable. I'm not sure if the American Type approval bods would have insisted on it. No reason why they should, of course. It's just something that crossed my mind uninvited:).
It also seems to have one KT66 and one KT88 in it. Could that cause distress to the output transformer when the wick was turned up?
Cheers, Pete:thumbsup:

yestertech 21st Nov 2011 7:42 pm

Interesting
It looks very prototypical.
The chassis lettering is rather messy and clumsy and looks to have been varnished over.
The font looks too large for the purpose.
Although it says "made in GB" ,this looks like it's been added later.
Are the gold effect transformer laminations ,a sprayed metal cover or is this tape sprayed up.
Also, any chance of an underchassis view ? I'd be interested in the wiring method/standard
It also looks like the Trafolyte, serial number label has been removed from something else and stuck on.

Andy

The more I look, the more I'm thinking good home brew ???

vinnyelectronic 22nd Nov 2011 12:21 am

5 Attachment(s)
Guys, many thanks for your comments and wise words. EMI is the word from the US. I need to do some more digging.

Here's the underside views. Yes it looks homebrew, but depends on when it was manufactured. There is an official looking serial number on the back.

Vince

Tractorfan 22nd Nov 2011 10:10 am

I notice that there's an inspection stamp on the chassis near the transformer. That makes me think it isn't homebrew. Unless the homebrewer was very particular:).
Cheers, Pete:thumbsup:

mark pirate 22nd Nov 2011 10:26 am

It does use certain parts used in leak amps, but it does look a bit crude compared with production amps, my guess is that is some sort of prototype/pre-production model.

My TL12 uses two kt66 output valves.
:beer:
Mark

Sideband 22nd Nov 2011 10:52 am

I doubt it's homebrew. Some of the soldering has dabs of paint (green) on it which was typical of production models at one time. I doubt that would have been done on homebrew or even prototype.

Rich.

Mike-repairman 22nd Nov 2011 11:21 am

Agree with Sideband; with the painted solder connections and inspection mark it has to be a production run, albeit perhaps a small one.
I rather think that the Letraset on the back was done by the purchaser; if text was needed on a production chassis that would have been screen printed.
Looks a nice bit of kit. :)
Mike.

Herald1360 22nd Nov 2011 1:25 pm

Is that a humdinger in picture 4? (The two 47R resistors)

yestertech 22nd Nov 2011 2:33 pm

Certainly the inspection marks and paint rule out a "home brew"

One wonders if this was originally a 240v model, as the mains transformer has clearly been replaced at some point ( poor soldering and no painting )
What's unusual for UK amps is filling in the transformer laminations, other than with , say black tape, like the later Leaks.
Be interesting to know what the fill-ins are made of ?

Andy

vinnyelectronic 22nd Nov 2011 3:40 pm

Guys, Identified 100% this morning as EMISONIC STD 373 with mods as suggested. Very many thanks for all comments/info. Vince