UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Amateur and Military Radio (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Uk ham callsign database (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57701)

TESTMAN 16th Aug 2010 9:57 pm

Uk ham callsign database

Hi,does anyone have a version of this they could post please.It was on the ofcom site but i cant see it anymore?
i meant to save it and convert to a searchable database,but never did :(

Thanks in advance..Simon

Phil G4SPZ 16th Aug 2010 10:04 pm

Re: Uk ham callsign database

The best one I know is at http://hamcall.net/call and it's world-wide and always up-to-date.

73 de Phil

f.cooper 16th Aug 2010 10:22 pm

Hi,
Was there not some issue with privacy rules etc as it may have included details of radio amateurs who did not wish for all their details to be publicly disclosed

Dave757 16th Aug 2010 11:07 pm

You could always try QRZ.com. Also worldwide.

Kind regards

Dave G0ELJ

Alf 16th Aug 2010 11:19 pm

Is this what you were thinking about?

Sideband 16th Aug 2010 11:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave757 (Post 354677)
You could always try QRZ.com. Also worldwide.

Kind regards

Dave G0ELJ

That's the one I use

http://www.qrz.com/

SB

m0cemdave 16th Aug 2010 11:52 pm

I think it was only on the Ofcom site for a short time. The RSGB came up with all sorts of objections.
Of course, nobody would buy their Callbook if this public database were freely available to the public ...
It did NOT show details of ex-directory ("particulars witheld") amateurs.

As has been pointed out much of the information is available on QRZ.com. However their database is full of out-of-date information including a lot of silent keys.
I can't get into it to add to my own details, doesn't recognise my password any more...

Alf 17th Aug 2010 12:03 am

I managed to download it before it was removed. Mr. D*G W****

GMB 17th Aug 2010 9:39 am

Quote:

I can't get into it to add to my own details, doesn't recognise my password any more...
I have found the administrators of QRZ.COM are quite helpful when things go wrong like that.

TESTMAN 17th Aug 2010 10:43 am

many thanks to all for the advice.

Simon

Aub 17th Aug 2010 12:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ (Post 354656)
The best one I know is at http://hamcall.net/call and it's world-wide and always up-to-date.

73 de Phil

it certainly has my details correct.

G8HQP Dave 17th Aug 2010 1:31 pm

hamcall has me correct, but last time I looked at QRZ.com it was out of date and would not let me log in to update things.

Harmonic 17th Aug 2010 9:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aub (Post 354769)
it certainly has my details correct.

Not mine.

It still has obsolete info on my G0 callsign (from more than 10 years ago), has my GW0 callsign correct (details withheld) and no record of my EI callsign, nor my original G1 callsign (but that's not surprising as it only lasted a couple of months before I sat the CW test).

G0MEM Michael 18th Aug 2010 10:34 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0cemdave (Post 354688)
I think it was only on the Ofcom site for a short time. The RSGB came up with all sorts of objections.
Of course, nobody would buy their Callbook if this public database were freely available to the public ...
It did NOT show details of ex-directory ("particulars witheld") amateurs.

That's correct isn't it? 'particulars witheld' amateurs shouldn't be in any databases. Same as not being in any phone lists and databases when one is ex-directory.

m0cemdave 18th Aug 2010 12:43 pm

Yes, quite correct.

My final point was regarding F Cooper's question.
Some of the objections at the time claimed that it disclosed "private information", and the fact that the ex-directory listings were missing is evidence that these claims were unfounded.

KeithsTV 18th Aug 2010 12:49 pm

Just checked on QRZ.com and my address is about 9 years out of date but they have added my current postcode on the end. Odd

Hamcall have it correct though.

Keith

milairuk 18th Aug 2010 1:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 354683)
Is this what you were thinking about?

Am I missing something - I just get error 404 page not found ??
John

G0MEM Michael 18th Aug 2010 2:20 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0cemdave (Post 354688)
As has been pointed out much of the information is available on QRZ.com. However their database is full of out-of-date information including a lot of silent keys.

AFAIK qrz.com is updated by it's registered users. No surprises that silent key operators are still listed. They can't exactly login and delete themselves. ;)

m0cemdave 18th Aug 2010 4:10 pm

Quote:

AFAIK qrz.com is updated by it's registered users. No surprises that silent key operators are still listed. They can't exactly login and delete themselves.
Yes indeed, a "fatal" flaw in the system...

I don't know where Hamcall get their info from. Mine is accurate, although I didn't put it there.

Oh, and (back on toipic) I've just remembered I downloaded the UK database when it was available. It was hosted on G3ZHI's website for a while.

dsergeant 18th Aug 2010 6:04 pm

You can 'take over' responsibility for a silent key op and update it to show he is no longer with us. I have done that with a couple of our locals. But first of course you need to create an account - and having done that years ago I never have any problems updating my record.

Information for all these callbooks comes originally from the county licensing authority - ie Ofcom - who release it to the national societies and others who they have an arrangement with. That is how the RSGB callbook gets its information. But it is not accessible by the public directly. When QRZ.com started they based it on the international callbook but don't seem to have done anything to keep the data up to date.

Dave G3YMC