UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Radio Constructor Articles (Jason) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21292)

RobinBirch 9th Oct 2007 6:38 pm

Radio Constructor Articles (Jason)

Dear All,
Some time ago I posted a request for the details of a Jason AM/FM kit set dated from the late 1950's early 1960's. Nobody could help. Oh well:-)

Now, I recently swapped some microvax computers for some money and an unfinished Jason FM radio kit. The kit came with the manual. Reading it I found that this Jason kit was originally described in The Radio Constructor. So:

1) Does anybody know if the other Jason kits were also printed in The Radio Constructor;
2) If so, does anyone have backnumbers and could they do some digging for me.

Obviously I'll pay for any copying.

I am after the circuit for the AM/FM Jason kit.

Cheers

Robin

paulsherwin 9th Oct 2007 6:44 pm

Re: Radio Constructor Articles (Jason)

Have a look here: http://vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/radcon.htm

Paul

RobinBirch 9th Oct 2007 6:59 pm

Many Thanks Paul,
I have emailed Maurice who runs the site to see if he has anything.

The set I am after was called the Argonaut and was published as a separate book and also manufactured by Jason.

Cheers

Robin

ronbryan 9th Oct 2007 9:32 pm

Robin

With regard to your question 1, I have copy of the Jason OG-10 Oscilloscope article from the August/September 1959 Radio Constructor (supplied by Brian R Pateman of the Forum) and I recall other test-gear articles such as the Jason Wobbulator being published in R-C as well.

Ron

Ed_Dinning 9th Oct 2007 9:37 pm

Hi Robin, I have a collection of Radio Constructors, any chance of narrowing it down a bit date wise?

There were many Jason designs, most of then described in the Radio Constructor, amplifiers, signal generators and sweepers. If you can find me approx dates I will see what I can find.
I have a Jason Kit FM tuner, but I'm not sure of the type. It has only one knob on the front and a blanking plate. 4 valves and tunes from 88 to 108.

I believe Chas Miller had some Radio Constructor reprints on a Jason design, I got one some years ago and will try and find it.
I may have some of the later magazines if you are interested, I'm looking for mainly earlier ones to complete my collection to the 70's

Best regards, Ed

Radio_Dave 9th Oct 2007 9:58 pm

Whilst all this searching is going on, I'd be very interested if anybody finds any info, in Radio Constructor, about the Jason J2-10 stereo valve amplifier:-)

Regards
David

RobinBirch 10th Oct 2007 9:45 am

Ed et al,
The articles I am after are in March/April 1956 (There are some indexes to radio constructors on the site pointed to above).

I have the manual to the FM set that Ed describes along with an unfinished kit (Chassis, colis, valves but no components). If anyone wants a copy of the manual then I'll scan it. It is a very interesting design from a historic point of view as it comes in two versions depending on how far you were from Wrotham.

Robin

Ed_Dinning 10th Oct 2007 6:46 pm

Hi Gents, Mar/Apr 56 to hand, this also refers to an earlier article in "latter half of 1954". This other article is also available, but does not specifically mention Jason, being authored by W Gordon. There was also an earlier FM tuner by G Blundell of very similar design.
Do any of the forum members know of the connections of these gents to Jason? Was Jason absorbed by Heatkit/Daystrom?
PM me as to who wants copies and I can scan or photocopy.

Last nights search uncovered many of the Jason circuits in my collection; Dave can you get a bit closed to date and I'll see if I have it, there were certainly some Jason amps in there.
Robin, is the Manual on the Argonaut? I can't find my copy at present.

After all that searching I now find I have a a lot of swops from the 50's to the 70's. PM me if anyone is interested.

Best regards, Ed

Radio_Dave 10th Oct 2007 7:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning (Post 140884)
Dave can you get a bit closed to date and I'll see if I have it, there were certainly some Jason amps in there.

Hi Ed,

I can't be certain when the J2-10 was made, but at a guess I'd say around 1962/63 :-/

Regards
David

RobinBirch 11th Oct 2007 1:08 pm

Hi Ed,
The manual is not for the Jason but is probably one of the earlier FM only sets that was published through Radio Constructor. Looking at the circuit and some of the ocmponents I would guess that it is what the Argonaut grew out of.

I'll try and scan it later today.

Robin

Ed_Dinning 11th Oct 2007 6:21 pm

Hi Dave, I've not got a complete set of 62/63 but I haven't spotted it so far.
I'll let you know if I find it.

Ed

Radio_Dave 12th Oct 2007 2:09 pm

Hi Ed, Thanks for your efforts. I've opened it up and found an electrolytic with June 1963 stamped on it, so I'm sure your looking in the right area :).

It's the different B9A plugs Jason used to match speaker impedance and change negative feedback that I'm particularly interested in. Maybe info on other Jason amps, with EL84 push pull output (if they made any) would help me out?

Regards
David

RobinBirch 12th Oct 2007 2:41 pm

Dear All,
Please send me the email addresses (in a PM) for all of the people who would like copies of the Jason radio manual that I have.

Robin

Ed_Dinning 12th Oct 2007 8:30 pm

Hi Gents,
Dave - I'll see if I can find your data

Robin, did you need copies of the articles? I,ve now found my booklet (data booklet No12, by G Blundell, covers FMT1,FMT2,FMT£ etc, so probably is reprints of the original articles.

Ed

RobinBirch 13th Oct 2007 11:29 am

Ed,
That'd be great. I'vve got the original article but it would be brilliant to have the booklet as well.

What do I owe you for the copying or will you scna them.

Cheers

Robin

Ed_Dinning 13th Oct 2007 6:20 pm

Hi Gents, Robin, I'll p copy the booklet. PM me your address and I'll get it sent off.

Dave, I've located 2, circuits in RC, neither of them Jasons
Feb 63 uses ECL86's
Feb 61 is a 20W cooper Smith with EL34's, but has a multi-sec op tranny and selector plug B9A, that also carries the R&C for feedback. They may have used the same technique on the Cooper Smith Bantam, which I think used EL84's.
PM me with your address if you would like a p copy of the article.

Ed

Radio_Dave 16th Oct 2007 4:04 pm

Hi Ed,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I've sent you a PM;)

David