UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Newnes R+TV service manual variations (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4602)

Radio_Dave 29th Aug 2005 10:43 am

Newnes R+TV service manual variations

Hi, There seems to be three variations to the original set of the Newnes R+TV service manuals.

I believe there are three, five and six volume editions? Does anybody know if there's any difference in content and if so what is the best set to look out for?

Thanks
David

Aerodyne 29th Aug 2005 12:30 pm

Re: Newnes R+TV service manual variations

Actually, its even more complicated than that. A volume was published back in 1952 entitled 'Radio Engineer's Servicing Manual', Newnes of course, by Molloy and Poole. This had just radios, all post war. In subsequent years, sets of the red books began to appear in various forms: 5 vols, 6 vols, 3 vols (including a TV only volume) and individual volumes on a per-yearly basis.

It is therefore difficult to organise the contents because of considerable overlap. There is a tendency for later volumes to include the data from earlier ones but 'truncated'. Not all earlier data is repeated! Some volumes have fold-out data sheets at the back. Some have indexes, others (the sets) perhaps only have one final index. All very confusing. Compilers vary, too: J.P. Hawker, E. Molloy, W.F. Poole and J.A. Reddihough and probably others in the later volumes. Publishers changed, too, but the format tends to stay similar with the red covers and size.
Unless others can help you more, you may have to content yourself with picking up what books you can whenever the opportunity arises, and risk the inevitable overlaps. They do go pretty cheaply on Ebay from time to time.
-Tony

jim_beacon 29th Aug 2005 2:10 pm

It is as Tony says.....

I have two copies of volume 1, with different sets in each. There was an article in one of the magazines that detailed the history of these books (RB?), and there were changes of editor and publisher, which further confused the issue.

The earlier 5 volume sets generally cover models back to 1946, but there are a sprinkling of pre-war sets in them as well.

Jim.

Neil F 29th Aug 2005 10:17 pm

The article Jim is referring to is (probably) the one written by Pat Hawker himself, which can be found in Radiophile Issue 22. This is reprinted in Issue 70, but for some reason a very useful chart of the RTS editions published up to 1961, which can be found in the original article, is omitted from the reprint. The article itself is a very interesting read and clears up a lot of the mysteries surrounding the different editions. Apparently, Newnes published a total of 14 editions of RTS before the imprint was sold in 1965! If you're sufficiently interested, you can buy the issue in question direct from Radiophile: 'phone the Radiophile Admin. Office on 01785 284696.

HTH

Paul Stenning 29th Aug 2005 10:37 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a copy of the chart.

KB-KR20 30th Aug 2005 12:39 am

There is at least one other edition not listed in this chart. It is as follows:-
V1 R1
V2 R2 + TV1
V3 TV2
V4 53-54
V5 55-56 + CI
V6 56-57

Later editions (From edition 5 onwards in the Radiophile chart) have a print number (pre ISBN days) above the "printed in UK" notice on the page facing the contents.
Mick

Radio_Dave 30th Aug 2005 3:19 pm

Thanks for the replies :),

Looking at Paul's chart it seems that I have the 1958 6th edition:

Vol 1 - pre 1953 radio
Vol 2 - pre 1953 tv
Vol 3 - 1953-54
Vol 4 - 1955-56
Vol 5 - 1956-57
Vol 6 - latest models (1957-58?).

I wonder what happened to 1954-55? Anyhow I've looked at Jim Beacon's list and it seems my version is lacking in pre 1953 data:(, I guess I'll have to look out for an earlier version;)

Many Thanks
David

Paul Stenning 30th Aug 2005 7:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB-KR20
There is at least one other edition not listed in this chart.

I had a couple of volumes that didn't seem to match any on the chart too (since been sold on eBay). I don't think it tells the whole story.

Sean Williams 24th Apr 2007 6:26 pm

Well, I will drag this old thread back to the surface, as it might help others that are looking to compile a full set.....

Nickthedentist 24th Apr 2007 6:28 pm

There's also a mid-1980s INDEX which is well worth getting hold of (or photocopying at the library ;)).

Nick.

Dave Moll 25th Apr 2007 10:29 am

I have scanned my copy of this (it goes up to 1986) and the index from my 1986-87 volume (the only one not covered by the main index). If Paul (Stenning) considers it to be acceptable, I could make these available.

Paul Stenning 25th Apr 2007 5:39 pm

If you email it to me Dave, I can put it on www.vintage-radio.info

Send me a PM if you need the email address.

Dave Moll 25th Apr 2007 7:40 pm

Have done so.

Paul Stenning 25th Apr 2007 7:56 pm

Got them, thanks. I'll make a couple of PDFs from them (it'll take a little while as they are double page scans), and post here when they are online.

Paul Stenning 25th Apr 2007 9:23 pm

1 Attachment(s)
The cumulative index 1952-1986 is now here http://www.vintage-radio.info/docs/ (top item in the list). The 1987 index Dave sent me doesn't belong there so it's attached here.

Sean Williams 25th Apr 2007 10:15 pm

Thanks all - Very useful!

Dave Moll 25th Apr 2007 10:21 pm

And amazingly fast conversion from my pile of GIF files!