UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What Is This Accessory With My Tape Recorder? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83382)

camtechman 6th May 2012 4:09 pm

What Is This Accessory With My Tape Recorder?

3 Attachment(s)
I've recently acquired a very high quality Japanese miniature, capstan driven, reel to reel, portable tape recorder.

The make is Comet and the casing is high grade aluminium, finished in bluish grey crackle paint. The internal mechanisms are almost aircraft grade.

It's complete with hand stitched brown hide case....it seems as if it's in the same league as a Fi-cord.

It came with quite a few accessories, also in a brown hide case but one of the accessories has me puzzled. It in a rectangular metal enclosure 80mm x 60mm x 10mm and has a small link chain, presumably to hang it on something.

Inside the is a coil with a fine enamelled winding, in the centre of the coil is a crude kind of metal core, the whole thing is glued to inside of the front casing and it's connected to a screened cable, fitted to a mono 3.5mm jack plug.

See attached pics.

Is it some kind of boundary device , or an inductor?

Any ideas?

Tony

peteratnith 6th May 2012 4:24 pm

Re: What Is This Accessory With My Tape Recorder?

Hi Tony, an inductive telephone pick up device?. Would love to see pictures of the recorder!

Peter

brenellic2000 6th May 2012 5:34 pm

Looks like that to me too; but does it record in perfect English or Japanese English?

Barry

camtechman 7th May 2012 11:22 am

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics of the Comet and although the mechanical quality is good, the pcb assemblies were 'prototype' quality. I don't think they made many of these machines.

camtechman 7th May 2012 11:24 am

3 Attachment(s)
Here's the insides & note, I think someone added the meter much later.

dseymo1 7th May 2012 7:02 pm

Interesting machine.
As you say, the overall construction quality looks very good, but those PCBs are indeed 'prototype' quality! It's not just the layout, but the workmanship that contrasts with the rest.
Similarly, the induction coil's having a basic knotted strain relief and that crude core seems weird considering the appearance of the bobbin and enclosure. I note that the enclosure has a recess for a badge, but none fitted, which does suggest to me that it might be a pre-production model of some sort.