UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Weller Magnastat TCP-1 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11823)

Sam 13th Oct 2006 7:51 pm

Weller Magnastat TCP-1

I bought this in town today from the stall on the Friday Market that sells old tools. It looked in good nick, the bloke said it worked, and I need a decent soldering iron. As lots of good things have been said about these Weller Irons on here I bought it. Now comes the dumb question... :-[

How do you vary the temperature? There isn't anything on the base unit (which I have looked inside - just a transformer) or the Iron itself that looks to me like a 'twiddly-thing' to adjust the temperature.

A bit of work on the cable to the Iron, dress the bit with a file, and a new mains lead and I will have a handy tool. £12 well spent I feel! :)

Sam

P.S. 'twiddly-thing' is an engineering term. ;)

jim_beacon 13th Oct 2006 8:24 pm

Re: Weller Magnastat TCP-1

Sam,

The bit sets the temprature - to change temp, you change the bit. If it is a proper magnastat bit, it will have a number stamped in the bottom (and be magnetic).

If not, the element will run flat out, and it will get very hot.....

Jim.

Kat Manton 13th Oct 2006 8:38 pm

Hi,

To add to that; the number on the bit is the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit divided by 100. I tend to use a number 8 (800 degrees F) in fine pointy conical style for most stuff but have a big chunky screwdriver no. 9 for soldering car battery terminals and bits of brass and steel. I've some random 5, 6 and 7 bits in a tin but these don't see much use. I think 7 is considered "normal" but my soldering style is fast and very well refined so I prefer an 8 :)

How it works: It works by using the Curie Point of the metal. Above a certain temperature it decides not to be magnetic. It cools down a bit and becomes magnetic again. This operates a switch; the switch turns the element (24V 45W usually) on and off. Hence "Magnastat" - Magnetic Thermostat. Simple, not much to go wrong, in my opinion these irons rock - been using one since 1986 :)

Regards, Kat

Sean Williams 13th Oct 2006 9:45 pm

A file? No, No, No!

If the bit is worn, then you need a new one - attacking a tcp bit with a file is a bit like attacking a Bonneville with a chainsaw......

Cheers
Sean

jjl 13th Oct 2006 10:00 pm

I'd agree with Sean there.
One of the good things about TCP bits compared to those of lesser irons is that the bits seem to last forever, just wipe on a damp sponge, tin and off you go. I have some TCP tips that must be at least 35 years old and have seen lots of use with no serious signs of deterioration.

John

Skywave 13th Oct 2006 10:11 pm

Soldering iron bit for a TCP-1.

A bit of advice (yes, pun intended!) . . .

DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, file the end! 8-o
The "business" end of the tip is plated over the copper beneath. If you file away - or even make a small hole in the plating - the copper beneath will very quickly migrate into subsequent solder joints, leaving a cavity at the end of the bit. The bit is then useless. >((

The important thing with these bits is always keep them clean - hence the sponge pad. And don't use the iron for making holes in plastic by melting. This causes non-recoverable contamination of the plating, and any further soldering with it will be impossible. >((

By and large, they are quite good irons for lightweight soldering. The only occasional problem is a bit that either won't get warm (let alone hot) or a bit that gets far too hot. The usual cause of this trouble is a sticky thermostat switch inside the handle. This 'stat is available as a spare part.

BTW ~ Note: TCP-1 = lightweight soldering. If you find yourself needing to do medium to heavyweight stuff, you need a much more powerful iron. Personally, my favourite is the RF-powered "Metcal" - will solder almost any chunk of copper - snag is, though, they are very expensive! :o

Hope some of that helps.

Al.

Sam 14th Oct 2006 9:11 am

OK then, I won't file it! Sounds like I have been cruel to my three-quid iron from Durham market in the past then.

It is fitted with a No. 7 bit. I will get the cable repaired and see if I can tin the bit.

Sam

Skywave 14th Oct 2006 8:22 pm

Just a last thought Sam - it's worthwhile getting a number 8 and especially a number 9, for those odd occasions when you need a lot of heat. Err, well, within the limitations of a 45-watt iron, that is. :-)

Al.

newlite4 16th Oct 2006 9:55 am

I have always used these irons at work and recently acquired one for use at home. The standard bit used at work is the PTAA7. I find it useful to have an armoury of other bits both large and small. For heavy work like soldering to chassis a No8 temperature bit comes into its own.
Neil

Biggles 16th Oct 2006 10:58 am

One point to watch with these irons is that the bits can seize into the tube on the iron element. Remove the bit regularly to stop this happening. Otherwise a very good industry standard workshop iron. Now you just need a Weller Pyropen gas iron for portable stuff (and to warm your hands on when working outdoors)

Biggles.

tvden 16th Oct 2006 5:11 pm

funny enough I bought one of these Weller transformers with a TCP1 iron at the last Harpendon, it works fine and the bit is good it just had the sponge pad missing, can anyone tell me where I can obtain spare bits and what the part numbers are, it looks like it came with a med bit, just had a look like Sams its a No 7 could do with one a little smaller for pc boards and one a bit larger good pun in there somewhere

ppppenguin 16th Oct 2006 5:23 pm

All the PTxxx series bits are in the RS catalogue. Or they were last time I looked which was some time ago.

The 2 letters after the PT define the shape and size. The number at the end is the operating temperature. 7 for 700F, 8 for 800F are the most useful.

I usually use a PTAA7 for PCBs and other fairly fine work.